Fun with names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with names

Michael has been 1st or 2nd top baby name since 1954, but wasn't (in this century) in the top 2 before that date, and previously to 1943 wasn't even in the top 10.

Jon Miller
    (was close to being a Michael)
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ah, you found my SSA link in the other thread!

What's really surprising is that John didn't overtake Michael in the early 60's, though it was #2 for some of that time; you'd think that between the popularity of Pope John XXIII and JFK-mania, it would have made it.

You can also see hard data on what seems anecdotally true: boys' names are more resilient than girls'.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I think it deserved a thread of its own

I am really Jonathan, which is ~21

it didn't reach the 20s until the year of my birth (1980) when it was also 21 (excepting a short dip at 38 in '77)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

More fun facts: only 5 boys' names and 4 girls' names from the 1880 top 20 are in their respective 2004 top 20s. The 1880 name closest to its 2004 ranking is Emma (#3 in 1880, #2 now) -- which seems not to have appeared in the top 20 from 1903-1998.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
        X