Giving lillies to people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving lillies to people

In the past month, we've received flowers or bouquets that included or consisteted entirely of lillies. I'm wondering why people still give these out without knowing much about the family -- like if they have cats.

We've had to throw all of these out right after receiving them because we have two cats, and lillies are extremely toxic to cats. Even exposure to their pollen can kill them within 18 to 96 hours: kidney failure, paralysis, etc.

There are far safer flowers to give out to people you don't know very well. Does anyone ever take this into account?

Further, why aren't florists required to attach a warning label to such flowers? A lot of people may not know how deadly lillies are to cats.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

How inconsiderate some people can be.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Giving lillies to people

Originally posted by Asher
      Further, why aren't florists required to attach a warning label to such flowers? A lot of people may not know how deadly lillies are to cats.
      This is true. Until this thread I had no idea.

Comment

thanks. now I know how to get rid of that annoying cat next door
        CSPA

Comment

Most flowers are toxic to cats.

You could tell those people though.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Never knew that...

Why even how we have a lovely bouquet of lillies in the window...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Re: Giving lillies to people

Originally posted by Asher
              Erm, because cats can't read?

I never realised this was the case myself...

Next time I get you flowers Asher, I'll have to get you deadly nightshade instead
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I presume because our laws don't exist to protect animals, but people.

Good to know though... my cats wouldn't appreciate lilies My guess is people don't know any better.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I didn't know that either and we used to have several cats.

So I guess the reason is that maybe people don't know.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Then I'll tell you another one.
                    Never give aspirine to cats or dogs. While a big dog might be able to handle (it's not toxic) it, it may very well kill a smaller one.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Never give chocolates to a woman who owns a dog, she may accidentally get fat.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Overblown nonsense.

Comment

Well the woman would get overblown eating all those chocolates...
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Giving lillies to people
                            ...sounds gay.
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Own goal...

Comment

Working...
                              X