Oilers beat Flames - Asher in mourning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Hmm. It's funny, when I look at Chicago and Edmonton's records, they lose more than Calgary does.
    Oh, I know the Hawks suck.

However, I'm not dillusional like some Calgary fans... errr... well... I'm only aware of one dillusional Calgary fan. But I'm sure there are more.

Actually, the Hawks are a lot like Calgary. The difference is, the Hawks goalie has been sucking this year. If Kipper had been struggling like Khabi has been, Calgary would be in the exact same position as Chicago is in.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
      If the league goes ahead with its stupid greedy idea of adding four more teams to the playoffs, the regular season will mean even less.
      That's awful.

If anything, they should remove four teams from the playoffs and make it so six teams from each conference get in.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Championships matter more than regular season records. That being said, I have no idea how either team has been doing lately w/regard to the Cup... for instance, if one team has won several times in the last 25 yrs, but all three were 15+ yrs ago, and the other team won last year or something... then I'd give the edge to the team that recently won. If they've both won recently, or both haven't won for a while, then it's over to who has won more historically (which I suspect goes to Edmonton).

-Arrian
        Calgary made it to game 7 of the final round last season, Edmonton got eliminated in the first round of playoffs (IIRC). Did they even make the playoffs?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
          If the league goes ahead with its stupid greedy idea of adding four more teams to the playoffs, the regular season will mean even less.
          Hmm yes and no-- It depends how it is done

If for example they made it so that 7th played 10th while 8 played 9 in a best two of 3 wildcard series while the 4v5 and 3v6 series got started 2 days later and teams 1 and 2 got 4 days off, it could have the following impacts

1. Make the late season important for teams fighting for 9th and 10th

2. Also make it important for a team safely in the top 7 but battling to get to number 6

3. reward the top 2 teams that should get a more banged up/ tired opponent

It could make the season more meaningful for more teams, It would definitely make placements among the top 8 teams more important and looking at recent seasons, would have meant more teams playing games that had a real significant impact until the final night.

When 16 teams made the palyoffs out of 21 I thought that was too many since some really suck teams made it. Now that there are 30 teams, frankly there are not more than 10 that really suck, so if they did something like I outlined I could live with it. I do not want a 5th best of 7 round in the playoffs but adding a best of 3 wildcard series shouldn't really delay things too much (perhaps 2 days)
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Calgary made it to game 7 of the final round last season, Edmonton got eliminated in the first round of playoffs (IIRC). Did they even make the playoffs?
            Old news, past (almost) glories.

Q. How do you spell "dynasty" in Calgary?

A. o-n-e.
            Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
              Old news, past (almost) glories.

Q. How do you spell "dynasty" in Calgary?

A. o-n-e.
              Seriously, the people who dwell in the past are some of the saddest sports fans out there.

It doesn't matter what your team did 20 years ago. It's pretty funny how when Calgary beats Edmonton's ass into the ground, I hear the same joke all the time. It's all you guys have to hold on to, and it's sad.

Gretsky is gone, Fuhr is gone, etc. You got nothing left except MacTavish which is a ****** of a coach and Lowe who makes questionable trades and left you with no real goalies.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher, could you add 'and tied with Calgary.' to your sig, please?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

(\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Edmonton has more losses than Calgary, they are not tied.

Comment

Hehehe. I can almost see the smoke coming out of your ears.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

Not at all. Kipper was due for an off game and we got it. At the same time the defense was sub-par, and it makes for a close game.

Calgary statistically owns Edmonton, you win some and you lose some.

The fact that Edmontonians feel they need a new thread whenever Edmonton beats Calgary tells you what a rare event it is.

This was your first win over Calgary at home since March 2002. That's a long time and a lot of games.

Comment

Not at all. Kipper was due for an off game and we got it. At the same time the defense was sub-par, and it makes for a close game. And if you ignore the points, Calgary is clearly superior.

Calgary statistically owns Edmonton, nevermind the two teams have the same number of points.

The fact that Edmontonians feel they need a new thread whenever Edmonton beats Calgary tells you what a rare event it is.

Don't look at the points!
                          Fixed.

I agree. The frothing should be contained in the one thread already, but maybe techumseh didn't want to jack the league thread any more than you and I already had.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

The league thread is the general purpose NHL thread.

techumseh was in a state of ecstacy for squeezing a win out of a close game, and since it's a rare occurance for Edmonton against Calgary, thought it warranted its own thread.

I predict a 4-1 Calgary win new years eve. Vengeance will be had, in glorious high definition.

Comment

Well yes, Asher. Calgary has had the better of the contests for a few seasons, and the way some people carry on about it it's no wonder that someone took the opportunity to grind it in.

I have to admit, it is pretty funny how you continue to insist the Flames are hot **** when they are tied with a team that sucks.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

The Oilers suck by default, regardless of how well they perform. Edmonton sucks, so its teams suck too. It's a given.

Comment

Working...
                                X