Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor Canada, no one respects their borders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Poor Canada, no one respects their borders.

Originally posted by General Ludd

The US can't even beat piss-poor third world countries, you think they stand a chance against mighty Canada?
    Yes, though there might be shortages of lumber and cheap computer technitions looking for work in the US.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If the world chooses to ignore the Canadians' right to benefit from eventually tolling the northwest passage I don't see what they can do about it. I don't see enough diplomatic leverage or the ability to blockade. But I am naïve in such matters.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

If it becomes economically important enough, Canada should mine the corridor with only a few lanes available for passage -- and then guard those lanes.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Must have missed that bit of 1812.
          Fine -- someone declared "mission accomplished" on a frigate.

Happy now?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The latest underwater trip through the Arctic came just before the federal election call last month. USS Charlotte, a Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine, left its home base in Pearl Harbor, sailed through the Bering Strait between Alaska and Russia and cruised under the Arctic ice pack to the pole.

The nuclear-powered sub spent more than 24 hours at the top of the world, giving its 154 crew members the chance to walk on the windswept ice and even play a quick football game in the -45C temperatures.
            Americans

He warned that if Canada cannot keep watch on its vast northern territory, we could lose control over the Northwest Passage, a 5,000-kilometre sea route through the Canadian Arctic that climatologists say could be open to commercial vessels within the next 10 years as a result of global warming and the retreating northern ice pack.
            Global warming
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The NW passage belongs to Canada (same with Han's Island).

Comment

Just 'cause they think the US submarine might have cruised through Canadian waters doesn't mean it did. Is this what passes for evidence in Canada? Let them provide some proof before making accusations.

Before the declaration of war in 1812 British troops had staged an incursion into US territory, their forces occupying parts of Michigan, Illinois and Indiana. By the end of the war they had learned to respect the borders set by treaty.

P.S. The local boys also kicked them out of Egypt, Palestine, Argentina, Mexico, Cuba, Peru, and Venezuala.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Anyone see Mythbusters over the weekend? One of the myths they were testing was whether you could use a giant slingshot to hurl a person over the [Canadian/American] border.

(Okay, they kind of wimped out and used a mannequin instead of a real person, and they never quite got it across the border...but it was a cool concept.)

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Anyone see Mythbusters over the weekend? One of the myths they were testing was whether you could use a giant slingshot to hurl a person over the [Canadian/American] border.

(Okay, they kind of wimped out and used a mannequin instead of a real person, and they never quite got it across the border...but it was a cool concept.)

What a wimpy concept-- There are any number of places where I could step/jump across the border-- so I don';t understand how this can be a myth if said slingshotr can hurl the person the length of themself
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

"The number of planned observation flights in 2000 was zero. In '99, there were two," he said. "And this is for an area the size of Europe."

How precisely would a recon flight help you spot a sub under the ice?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Same people, different name.
                        By that logic US citizens would be able to claim that France has invaded the US in relation to the Seven Years' War.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          "The number of planned observation flights in 2000 was zero. In '99, there were two," he said. "And this is for an area the size of Europe."

How precisely would a recon flight help you spot a sub under the ice?
                          Under the ice, I am assuming a recon flight would have zero chance. Heck depending on water depths, widths of channels etc I believe you could have an anti-sub ship sitting right there and not necessarily detect these subs.

I still see the sub as a non story . . . Lots of countries would not detect a sub in their territorial waters and it has no impact on their legal claims to soverignty
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

By that logic US citizens would be able to claim that France has invaded the US in relation to the Seven Years' War.
                            yeah, damn Frenchies.

Comment

frogs

What?

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                                What a wimpy concept-- There are any number of places where I could step/jump across the border-- so I don';t understand how this can be a myth if said slingshotr can hurl the person the length of themself
                                I missed the beginning of the show, so I don't know how they came up with the 200-300-yard distance they were shooting for.

A better myth was the "son of a gun" myth, about a civil war calvary guy who was supposedly shot with a miniball. According to legend, the ball passed through his tibia, thru his "family jewels" then travelled about a hundred years where it penetrated a young lady's abdomen, impregnating her. The Mythbusters proved that, although the tragectory of the bullet was possible, the "biological material" would not have remained on the miniball during its flight. Myth Busted!

Comment

Working...
                                X