Another "Journalist" Caught Taking Bribes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "Journalist" Caught Taking Bribes

Doug Bandow, syndicated columnist and fellow at The Cato Institute has confirmed he received money from Jack Abramoff over the last 10 or so years to write articles favorable to Abramoff's clientele.

And he's a libertarian who had my respect

Re: Another "Journalist" Caught Taking Bribes

Originally posted by Berzerker
    Doug Bandow, syndicated columnist and fellow at The Cato Institute has confirmed he received money from Jack Abramoff over the last 10 or so years to write articles favorable to Abramoff's clientele.

I don't get it. Isn't what he did consistent with libertarian values? He should have your respect even more now, since he let the market decide what he wrote about, rather than some mamby-pamby notion of ethics.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

You're right, you dont get it

Comment

You're right, you dont get it
        So explain to me, from a libertarian perspective, why what he did was wrong.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

From a libertarian perspective maybe it isn't wrong but it is a violation of industry ethical standards.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Anyone who suports CATO is a moron.

Comment

So explain to me, from a libertarian perspective, why what he did was wrong.
              I dont know why you're hung up on libertarianism, journalistic standards apply here, not ideology.

Comment

I dont know why you're hung up on libertarianism, journalistic standards apply here, not ideology.
                Journalistic standards are ideology. What else could they possible be? My question is, what does libertarianism imply about a concept like journalistic standards?

My guess is that, since this was merely a private financial arrangement between two individuals that resulted in their mutual benefit and did not break any laws, it's the kind of thing libertarians should be defending, not tut-tutting.

I'm still curious to know why that's a misunderstanding of libertarianism -- if it is.

Comment

Re: Another "Journalist" Caught Taking Bribes

Libertarians are as crooked as everyone else.

Comment

Journalistic standards are ideology. What else could they possible be? My question is, what does libertarianism imply about a concept like journalistic standards?

My guess is that, since this was merely a private financial arrangement between two individuals that resulted in their mutual benefit and did not break any laws, it's the kind of thing libertarians should be defending, not tut-tutting.

I'm still curious to know why that's a misunderstanding of libertarianism -- if it is.
                    Ideology is about how the political and economic world should work, journalistic standards are about how journalists should work. He violated those journalistic standards... As a libertarian I'm supposed to condone
                    that?

Libertarians are as crooked as everyone else.
                    But I haven't spent hours reading everyone else's stuff.

Comment

This revelation doesn't surprise me. I'm of the opinion that this happens often. Not even unethical for columnists.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        Not even unethical for columnists.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Journalistic standards are all about money. That's why you only have stories about missing white girls.
                          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Ideology is about how the political and economic world should work, journalistic standards are about how journalists should work. He violated those journalistic standards... As a libertarian I'm supposed to condone
                            that?
                            First, journalists are part of the political and economic world. Therefore, an ideology that gives us an idea of "how the political and economic world should work" must, by implication, give us an idea of how journalism should work.

Second, "journalistic ethics" don't transcend time and space. They are a very specific product of a very particular time and place: the 20th century West, and maybe mostly the 20th-century U.S. (my impression is that the European press is less invested in notions of independence and objectivity, but I claim no expertise here). They are also a product of, or a subset of, a particular ideology: Progressive Liberalism, which values the public good above the individual and assumes that market forces are a necessary evil to be neutralized whenever possible.

And that's my point: Journalistic Ethics = Liberalism.

I'll admit I was just popping off in my first post, but I do think it's an interesting question, and I'm not just Lib-baiting: does libertarianism, as an ideology, actually allow for something like a professional ethos? If so, how?

Comment

I dont know why you're hung up on libertarianism
                              You're the one who brought it up in the opening post.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X