Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senate Rejects Extension of Patriot Act!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    Dis is right. Car accidents kill over 50,000 people a year. That's 10 times the number of 9-11 every year.
    Yes, but car accidents are ... accidents. Nobody is deliberately causing these deaths. In the case of terrorism, we have a group of people who are deliberately trying to kill us.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Indeed, and we have to take that threat seriously. It's just that the "Patriot" Act (what a godawful, insulting name! Borderline fascist, if you ask me, and I don't throw that tag around lightly) doesn't significantly improve our fight against terrorism, whilst it DOES significantly impact our Liberty. **** that. to the PA.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Indeed, and we have to take that threat seriously. It's just that the "Patriot" Act (what a godawful, insulting name! Borderline fascist, if you ask me, and I don't throw that tag around lightly) doesn't significantly improve our fight against terrorism, whilst it DOES significantly impact our Liberty. **** that. to the PA.

-Arrian
        Has the Patriot Act been abused? Have there been cases where a court has ruled that a person's civil liberties were violated by the Patriot Act? Surely if the PA has impacted our liberties, the ACLU must have won lots of cases in court where the government was found at fault. Enlighten me!
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"

Comment

Somehow I doubt any examples I dig up (and no, I'm not gonna, simply b/c I'm too lazy today - maybe tomorrow) will past muster with you.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Somehow I doubt any examples I dig up (and no, I'm not gonna, simply b/c I'm too lazy today - maybe tomorrow) will past muster with you.

-Arrian
            Show me legit examples and I'll believe you. I am not as partisan as some folks around here seem to think. If the PA is abusing civil liberties, I'll be first in line to call for change.

Comment

You seem to think that spying on Americans w/o judicial oversight is a-ok (Domestic Spying thread).

As for examples, like I said I'm lazy this Monday morning. But maybe I'll do some digging this afternoon for ya...

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

I am not as partisan as some folks around here seem to think.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  laugh all you want Sava but it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                    Why NSL's and Section 215 enshrined in the Conference Committee's version of the Patriot Act can be a problem:

And yes, Russ Feingold is badazz.
                    some guy wrote a paper and was visited by some DHS agents - big woop.

Way back in the bad old days of the cold war, I attended high school in NYC. I was a member of the Stuyvesant High School Rapid Transit Club (oy vey, I know) While others obtained histories of the New York City subway, I took it upon myself to gather maps and other info on subway systems abroad. I got most of my info by contacting consulates and/or UN missions in NY of countries I knew to have metro systems. So naturally I wrote to the Soviet UN mission (damned commies wrote back to say they had no info - least responsive of all the countries id contacted) . What I didnt realize was that the FBI routinely monitored EVERY letter to the Soviet Mission. It turns out that two FBI men came to my home and asked my parents (I was out at the time) what was up. They explained, and everything was hunky dory. They didnt even tell me about it till years later (didnt want me to worry, I guess) since then Ive been approved for US govt Secret Security clearance.

Really, a routine visit is not necessarily a big deal.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      That's like 9-11 times 10!
                      yep. Car manufacturers are the real terrorists. . Okay it's really just bad drivers that are the real terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat

Show me legit examples and I'll believe you. I am not as partisan as some folks around here seem to think. If the PA is abusing civil liberties, I'll be first in line to call for change.
                        I already showed legit examples.

Do you think it's okay for the FBI to demand all the names of people statying in Las Vegas hotels?

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I already showed legit examples.

Do you think it's okay for the FBI to demand all the names of people statying in Las Vegas hotels?
                          If they done that when Bugsy Siegal first built Las Vegas, theyd have been way ahead
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Bugsy was a legitimate business man.

Comment

some guy wrote a paper and was visited by some DHS agents - big woop.
                              That the DHS is wasting resources on tracking who checks out potentially "anti-American" books by monitoring our personal library records is a big deal. I tend to prefer that the folks who are ostensibly securing my homeland not be needlessly intrusive or idiotic. But that's just me.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

That the DHS is wasting resources on tracking who checks out potentially "anti-American" books by monitoring our personal library records is a big deal. I tend to prefer that the folks who are ostensibly securing my homeland not be needlessly intrusive or idiotic. But that's just me.

Oh, its a resource issue. I thought you were implying it was a threat to liberty

Im not enthused about the policy, from the civil liberty viewpoint as well as the resource one, Im just questioning how big the concern is. And your post reminded me of my own past, so i thought id share it. give a little historical perspective, ya know?

Comment

Working...
                                X