X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen Having 16-Pound Growth Removed

By LAURA WIDES-MUNOZ, Associated Press Writer
    Thu Dec 15, 7:30 PM ET

MIAMI - A 14-year-old Haitian girl underwent a rare operation Wednesday to remove much of a 16-pound tumor-like growth on her face that all but obliterated her features.

Doctors at Holtz Children's Hospital finished operating on Marlie Casseus about 11:40 p.m., nearly 16 hours after the procedure began. The surgery is the first of many she will have to undergo.

A nonprofit group brought Casseus to the U.S. in September after the painful growth became so big it began to crush her breathing passage. The doctors are donating their time.

"I don't know how to thank you for this," her mother, Maleine Antoine, told doctors through a translator at a news conference. "I cannot express my emotions."

Casseus suffers from a rare form of polyostotic fibrous dysplasia, a nonhereditary, genetic disease that causes bone to become "like a big a bowl of jelly with some bone inside," said Dr. Jesus Gomez of University of Miami School of Medicine, one of the doctors involved in the operation.

Doctors said it was necessary to operate immediately or she would go blind.

Gomez said doctors would start with the left side of Casseus' skull and carve away the ballooning fibrous mass that had stretched and distorted her face, spreading apart her teeth.

If the operation is successful, they will seek to reconstruct the right side of her face and then later reconstruct her swollen jaw.

Doctors have performed such operations before, but rarely on a growth so big, Gomez said. Only about 3 percent of the 150,000 people diagnosed with the disease worldwide suffer such an extreme condition, he said.

Back home in Port-au-Prince, Casseus faced not only physical suffering but rejection by her neighbors.

"She was treated like an animal. If she was walking on a sidewalk, people would cross the street," Gomez said. "If they tried to stop a taxi, it would keep going."

The hospital said the $95,000 needed to fully restore Marlie's features has yet to be raised, though some donations have come in from around the world. The hospital is seeking to raise the money through its International Kids Fund.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; December 15, 2005, 23:19.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

How was she even able to eat??
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I have no idea how she was able to eat or walk even.
      I am glad the world has doctors that can and will fix this for her.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, I don't blame people walking on the other side of the street or the taxi not stopping; she does look very very scary, I can't even comprehend how that image is possible.

Very sad though.
        be free

Comment

I would kill myself if I looked like that.

That girl is brave.

I feel sorry the the **** she had to put up with.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

christ that's awful
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

don't laugh don't laugh don't laugh don't laugh don't laugh don't laugh

ok, I am not laughing. and if I was, I certainly would be laughing at her, but at the sheer grotesqueness of it all.

That **** is terrible.

Well, I don't blame people walking on the other side of the street or the taxi not stopping; she does look very very scary, I can't even comprehend how that image is possible.

Very sad though.

man. This sends shivers down my spine.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

My God, that is awful...I am amazed that some sort of medical assistance wasn't sought at a much earlier stage - however if she was Haitian I wonder whether she had such access...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

i saw this earlier.....

looks like something i expect to shoot in doom,not see in real life.i wasnt even sure this was possible(ie faked article) at first

fortunatly,with the $, current medical technology should fix it

people treating her subhuman
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

ooks like something i expect to shoot in doom,not see in real life

QFVFT
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                      How was she even able to eat??
                      She probably has a gastric tube.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

holy **** holy **** holy ****.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Are those two holes her... her nostrils?!?!?!

And is that her mouth/lip? wow.
                          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

yep....
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm going to go vomit now.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X