No announcement yet.

My first victory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in an hour? It took me 4 hours, the tournament.

The heads up lasted like 10 minutes.

BUt the home game I busted quickly. I didn't have spectacular cards. I just played them right and they played theirs wrong, good or bad cards.

And of course, a little bit of luck for me.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I am not interested in the online play, thats just a hobby sort of thing. What were the limits in the home game?

Comment

We actually played 10 euros buy-in winner takes all. And then we had chips, everyone got 1500 in chips.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          We actually played 10 euros buy-in winner takes all. And then we had chips, everyone got 1500 in chips.
          What were the limits? Was it no-limit?

Comment

no limit.
            In da butt.

Comment

Okay, so you busted a no limit game in 10 minutes. But you first said it took only a little over an hour.

I guess that includes driving and bs time.

Comment

No... I'm talking about 3 different games now. Originally this thread was about my first homegame and victory, then I talked avout the freeroll tourney, and then after that heads up (real money) online.

Homegame was IRL, rest were online. I won the heads up in 10 minutes online. That is one on one game.

The online tourney lasted about 4 hours.
                In da butt.

Comment

Flip, so how did you do?
                  Sorry the thread slipped from my thoughts.

Umm. I did alright. nothing spectacular but definitely an improvement over the last times i've played. We played buy outs and when we decided to wrap up the game I came away with a small profit. Generally I followed the advice that krazyhorse gave in the other thread and that was some damn good advice.

A couple of hands I shoulda played I folded on, stupidedly one was a KJ hand.

I got a couple of nice full houses almost in a row which helped give me some extra money. One of them it was me vs another guy, only two left in the hand. He was betting confidently and I was matching. Till the last round when I decided to check hoping his confidence would enable him to bet more hoping to buy me out maybe. Unfortunately it didn't work as planned and he lost his nerve and checked. Coulda taken him to the cleaners if I had pushed it. Ahh well lesson learnt.

Generally I'm looking forward to the next round. Practise somemore.

Comment

Good to hear you did well!

Nah, KJ isn't always that powerful, depends on the situation. I fold it if the time isn't right all the time. For example if you are on early position (right after big blind), you get KJ, and you would make a standard raise (2-5 times the big blind, to drive off the people who want to get lucky and sometimes they do get lucky with the flop), and basically someone in early position as well re-raises it, you have to wonder about what they have, usually it should be pocket pair, most likely high pocket pair, or suited connectors, and at that point it becomes a coin flip situation, and you might be even behind. SO you might think about folding when your turn comes to call it, depends of course how the guy usually plays, if he's conservative, it's an option to fold, at least that's my opinion.

THere are people who go all the way with weak aces, like A3, no matter what the bets are, they think since they have an ace, they want to see the flop, and after that they are committed to the pot so they don't want to fold it even though their chances are slim at best. That's just the mentality you want to avoid, and what bad players do (players who lose money).

But my message is, KJ isn't always the thing to go with. Also about pot commitment, sometimes it's worth it to go along with weaker cards, fi you are pot committed from big blind or small blind, and you have to pay only small amount more (comparing to your stack). You know, it's worth it to try to get lucky sometimes, you can't just play tight all the time unless you want to get bored. Often happens that you might flop like three of kinds with 3-5 you had, now you have 3 5s there, and someone is raising with something marginal at that point like KT. You know, those are the nice hands, then you get to rob the pot usually big time.

Another one I'd like to point out is that you don't always want to 'defend your blinds'. It makes no sense, if the blinds are small. Also some bad players try to steal the blinds when the ROI is not there. With bad hands like Q9, no one called and they are on the button, they try to raise it too much to steal the blinds. You know, you have to bet correctly, what's the point of betting half of your stack to steal 10 dollars (betting 500), because if you win, you get only 10, if you lose, you might lose it all if they actually have something. That's just stupid.

Those are the few things beginners start getting into when they start figuring out the game a bit, stealing blinds, trying to hang on with good pocket cards at all times. Just not worth it.

ANd that's why it's a game of correct betting ultimately.

But you learn with experience. I'm not a very good player myself, I know that. But I'm playing hands, learning more, and certainly can avoid most common mistakes and basically get a read on people even online (it's easy to spot fishes)

And that's when the game gets even more fun!

ALSO I think you played it correctly, checking and calling. Classic slow play, which is good. I would have done the same most likely, given that he raised on all rounds and you knew you were ahead, I would have checked after the river also, to re-raise after his raise, that never happened. It was totally believable to think he would have raised to either try steal the pot or what ever.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                    X