Need advice: Economics books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice: Economics books

My folks keep asking me to give them some idea on christmas present. Since I'm a student and I dont have a lot of money. I want them to buy me some books.

Can someone can send me some idea of books on economics? On any subject(microeconomy, macroeconomy, energy, state), just shoot some idea.

Thanks a lot.

Edit: Defined Subject
    Last edited by CrONoS; December 13, 2005, 23:33.
    bleh

It would help to know if you are looking for professional economics or popular press, what your specific interests are, and roughly what price range. At any rate, here are a few general suggestions off the top of my head.

Popular Press:
    Leonard Silk, Economics in Plain English
    Leonard Silk, Economics in the Real World
    Steven Levitt, Freakonomics
    Robert J Samuelson, Untruth: Why the Conventional Wisdom is (Almost Always) Wrong This is a collection of columns by the best popular press writer today IMHO.
    Alan Blinder, Hard Heads, Soft Hearts The best popular press book I have come across in the last 20 years.
    All of these are accessible to non-professionals, interesting, and inexpensive ($20US +/-).

Professional:
    Deirdre (Donald?) McCloskey, The Rhetoric of Economics Interesting book by a very interesting guy.
    Breit and Hirsch, Lives of the Laureates History of modern economic thought as told through autobiographical essays by Nobel laureates.
    William Thompson, A Guide for the Young Economist Good professional advice for people just strating out.
    All of these are realtively inxepensive ($20 US +/-)

Textbooks:
    Nicholson, Micronomics Everything you will ever need to know about applied microeconomics. ($80)
    Viscusi, Vernon, and Harrington, Econmics of Regulation and Antitrust A very practical text covering industrial organization and the economics of regulation. ($80)
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Thank Adam!! I really appreciate.

I'm an economics student, and dont have yet choose a field to explore. I've just finish my first year of economics(B.A.), and I really like economics.

I live in the province of Quebec. One of my teacher write a book about the economics of healthcare, this subject blow me away. I liked very much MicroEconomics.
      I dont have do any Econometrics course at this day, so I'll skip this subject for this moment.

If you have any book on new idea in economics, on the theory of games.

For each of your suggestion I will give a look on google, and surely will choose one book I can order at my local bookstore, or tell my parents to order the books.

Thanks,

CrONoS_QC
      bleh

Comment

Brealey & Myers, Principles of corporate finance probably into edition # XXI now or something
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Global Political Economy: Evolution and Dynamics, by Robert O'Brien and Marc Williams.

Got it for a course entitled Wealth and World Affairs a year ago. Read it at the end of this year, found it quite good, its quite macro.

Comment

@Saras:
            Looks like real good.(I read the review on amazon) But it was not what I searched, but I'll keep the idea.

@Flip McWho:
            Yeah! another idea to send to my folks.

Thanks again
            bleh

Comment

PoCF is in essence a micro book. The most recent macro book I read was Barro: Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
              X