I need advice on packing my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice on packing my computer

The moving company is coming soon to take away all my junk from Ottawa and move it to St. John's (Newfoundland).

Of all the things that could get broken, my main concern is the computer and monitor. I've never moved long distance before, so I'm not sure what kind of precautions I should take with it. Also, I don't have any of the original packaging.

My plan is to stick them in a cardboard box wrapped in blankets, towels, etc to absorb any shocks on the road. Will this be sufficient? Also, my monitor is a flat screen (ie, the screen is soft), what should I do to prevent anything from puncturing it?

So, any veteran movers with advice on packing (expensive) delicates?

Just for reference, here's the kind of distance the stuff will be on the truck for:
    Attached Files

I would recommend you remove the heatsink/fan and CPU from your computer, package them VERY carefully separately (do not bend the tiny pins on the bottom of the CPU!).

Also, if your video card is hefty (has a big fan/heatsink/etc), I'd remove that and package it separately too. Don't want those coming off and banging up the inside of your computer.

For the monitor, I'd put cardboard on the front of the display (to help prevent any random puncturings), with lots of blankets/towels and packing peanuts...

In the future, always save the original packaging for the monitor at least.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

My experience with moving was that I put such things packed as you describe but then in the trunk of the car I was shipping..

If not shipping a vehicle I would consider shipping such things packed well but inside a hard sided trunk. My only breakage on my last move was an older TV. It appeared that very heavy boxes had been placed on top of the box it was in and all the blankets, packing peanuts etc did not prevent the full weight from being borne by the unfortunate TV.

The lesson was to ensure any box is very strong since you never know what may be stacked on top of it. For added assurance, it may be good to place something very strong or that cannot compress on either side of the valuable. Even a row of books provides great punture protection in addition to ensuring a box on top doesn't cause some crush damage

Oh and note that I did the "ship it in the car trick" with other major items like my bicycle.

For shorter moves I take my most valuable things myself
      Last edited by Flubber; December 13, 2005, 19:08.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I would suggest you reconsider your move to St. John's, actually.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          I would suggest you reconsider your move to St. John's, actually.
          Why? St. John's is cool.

Comment

Enjoy your SIX METERS OF SNOW

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Lay it on its side, motherboard side down. That minimizes any risk of things popping out and sliding all over the place. When you arrive at your destination, open the case and make certain all components are firmly seated (they can loosen from the vibration and shakes of travel) before you boot up.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Enjoy your SIX METERS OF SNOW

http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.../07/snow010407
                Whatever. St. John's has the third most temperate climate of any city in Canada. Besides, I'd take 6 meters of snow over -40 + windchill any day.

Comment

You mean you are going to package your computer? And load it off in some random car? What?? When my computer moves, my TFT is in my lap and the actual box is in a padded cardboard box, surrounded by bubblewrap, and next to me in the backseat. And the two never leave my eyes until the destination.
                  Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                    You mean you are going to package your computer? And load it off in some random car? What?? When my computer moves, my TFT is in my lap and the actual box is in a padded cardboard box, surrounded by bubblewrap, and next to me in the backseat. And the two never leave my eyes until the destination.
                    Unfortunately that isn't an option. Newfoundland is an island, so I have to fly there.

Comment

... a helicopter maybe? Private plane?
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Remove the HDD and carry it with you.

Use styrofoam bits to protect the rest. They have these bits in various shapes, usually in tiny balls. Ask at packing supply stores.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                        X