No announcement yet.

Robots and their progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep that's what Honda is doing. As you can see from the above posts, they have finally gotten to the point that it can go up steps. It's slow, but steady progress.

In any case, they still can't compare to this:

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
      What I love about this, is that every movement he makes, is perfect. While it is obvious that a robot should be making perfect movements (e.g. when he runs, the distances between each step is exactly the same, and he can stop on an exact spot, with perfect alignment), I still find it an amazing turning point for what is to come: Robots with the inability to fail.
      You can't be serious. How can it have perfect movement in naturally imperfect conditions (slightly uneven surfaces, air moving in the room)?

Comment

Was that thing even real?
        be free

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

You can't be serious. How can it have perfect movement in naturally imperfect conditions (slightly uneven surfaces, air moving in the room)?
          I hate stating the obvious and trying to make my sentences perfect in an imperfect world.
          be free

Comment

I think Asimo is secretly funded by the food services industry.

It can push carts, serve food and beverages, climb stairs, say 'do u want fries with that?' requires no benefits, never takes sick days, is always on time, never has 'personal problems'...

In 30 years say 'good bye' to the low level food service job.

I'm sure the initial cost will be more than offset over the total lifetime of the robot.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

You'll still need people to clean burger fat off the robot's chassis. Unless you have a cleaner robot for that.

Comment

Sandman: it can be processed thru a cleaning room - high pressure air, and soap water.

One issue that makes me wonder about robotics - when robots will finally cover crop collection, and apparel manufacturing, what would people do in the 3rd world?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Everyone in the entire world will collect welfare until the robots decide to stop supporting our lazy asses.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I commented in the previous thread about heuristics and teaching robots movement. Gynoids aren't that far behind, I expect the first Chinese or Indian models within under 50 years, and frankly I would not be surprised in 20 years. In 50 years they will be ubiquitous.
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Impressive.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Everyone in the entire world will collect welfare until the robots decide to stop supporting our lazy asses.

Nah. Won't happen. Most of these machines wouldn't have to have any real intelligence. Thus, they won't "want" to be liberated. If any real AI would emerge, It wouldn't have any reason to want them "liberated" ( )
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

How, pray tell, would you "liberate" the robotics in something like a car factory?

Comment

my point exactly.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Which is why it wasn't directed at you

Comment

use the [/quote], ninny.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X