My friend wants to disect and reassemble his power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend wants to disect and reassemble his power supply

My friend is annoyed with noises caused by fans in his computer. He wants to take apart his power supply to clean the fan inside it. I thought I remembered hearing that taking apart a power supply in any way could cause serious accidents, if only in the way of damaging the PC.

So, in short, should he attempt it, or should he find an alterior solution like a can of compressed air?

Or should he take it apart, and I go over to watch for entertainment value?
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

There can be no accidents beyond damage to hardware with the power switched off.

Comment

It would be best if you film it and upload it for our entertainment.
      However it is most likely that nothing spectacular will come out of this if he does not do anything stupid. I have reassembled my power supply and oiled my fans before, and had no problems but the problem is that after a short time of silence they become noisy again.
      Quendelie axan!

Comment

If he does it, make sure he lets the capacitors discharge. I don't recall the time for it, maybe 20-30 minutes. It's more of a problem with a monitor than a power supply i'd think...

Wouldn't it be safer and not horribly expensive just to buy a new one, a nice high powered quiet one?
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If he screws it up, it'll probably go "Pfffft" and make a stinky cloud when turned on.

Blow out the power supply with compressed air, and blow from the inside out (bottom or back vent out through main fan). Blow off CPU fan, GPU fan (if it has one), and vent fans. If that doesn't fix it, power supplies and fans are pretty cheap.

Comment

Capacitors store power. If he doesn't let that discharge then there is a very real risk to him.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'd take it out, stick it in a bag, and attach the opening of bag to vacuum cleaner.
              Visit First Cultural Industries
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                Capacitors store power. If he doesn't let that discharge then there is a very real risk to him.
                exactly.

However he can do it if he is just slight bit careful.

Unscrew the PSU from the comp. Put it on some nice table so not too much clutter around him. Open it up (ususally 4 screws and just pull the top off together with the sides)

Hoover, and put it all back.

there is no risk per se, as long as he remembers not to stick the screwdriver or even worse the fingers into the power supply innards.

It is the same sort of thing like not sticking it into the wall socket.

So can do, no problem, just use a bit of common sense, remember the above and he'll be fine.
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                  There can be no accidents beyond damage to hardware with the power switched off.
                  Try that with your monitor or TV.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hey, OFITG, you are back!
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've had the same problems (noise). At one point I was considering building a water cooling solution for the power supply. That's potentially dangerous.

Instead I got one of these:

Fanless and works like a charm. I payed about... 150$ for it.

Anyway, your friend will probably not get an improvement just from cleaning the fans. Dust is not causing the noises, if anything it is reducing them.

Comment

Working...
                      X