No announcement yet.

Why would you support a war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it makes me rich and brings me a lot of young women as sex slaves Naaaah......
    Blah

Comment

"Depends"

I will almost always support defensive wars, included allied defense. But civil war, guerilla war, and humanitarian war are very muddy terrains, so I'd be very cautious about supporting them.

I somehow tolerate the idea of a preemptive war, if the case is very good. Of all the preemptive wars I'm aware of, none seems to have a case good enough.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well, I group guerilla war in with defensive war.

I think of my grandfather's experience in WW2 fighting the Nazis. He was a guerilla fighter in a Serbian unit under the command of the British. He doesn't talk much about his experience, only a few times has he shared what happened to him. It's difficult for him because he survived a massacre at Kragujevac.

So if someone invaded the US, I would most definitely support a guerilla war against the occupying force.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I support:

All defensive wars
          Helping an allied or friendly nation that is attacked (like if China invaded Taiwan or NK invaded SK)
          Humanitarian and peacekeaping reasons (such as sending troops to Darfur)
          Guerilla war if my country was occupied

Comment

Guerilla warfare is the only option that is the least bit close to being justifiable.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Never justifiable to defend yourself if attacked?
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                Never justifiable to defend yourself if attacked?
                That isn't exactly what I said - what's a guerrila war, afterall?

A military, however, is never justifiable.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

What about an option for "any war, as long as lots of people die and we get cool shots of corpses on the tv"?
                  får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

We need an opinion for any war that features Liberians bozos firing automatic rifles in funky poses.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

35 votes and on the different ends of the scale we have 5 abstaining from a defensive war due to laziness or other factors, while 5 would listen to the government no matter what it says, and pretty much any excuse for war (state sponsored) is valid. (can we say that 5 is the margin of error )

Slightly lower than that 4 would accept terrorist attacks as valid way to wage a war.

So between 10-20 % of the posters who voted (so between 3-7) here would not mind to kill you if the reasons are ripe for doing so, even if you are innocent.
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Where's the "to further the aims of the world-historical proletarian revolution" option?
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                          Where's the "to further the aims of the world-historical proletarian revolution" option?
                          Ming added that option
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

March onward, bananas of the revolution!
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                              March onward, bananas of the revolution!
                              Yep, banana is a sickle turned the other way around. It represents communism in reverse

Comment

Working...
                              X