• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nixon's Secretary of Defense Speaks out on Iraq and Vietnam

Iraq: Learning the Lessons of Vietnam
    Melvin R. Laird
    From Foreign Affairs, November/December 2005

Print Email to Colleague

Summary: During Richard Nixon's first term, when I served as secretary of defense, we withdrew most U.S. forces from Vietnam while building up the South's ability to defend itself. The result was a success -- until Congress snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by cutting off funding for our ally in 1975. Washington should follow a similar strategy now, but this time finish the job properly.

MELVIN R. LAIRD was Secretary of Defense from 1969 to 1973, Counselor to the President for Domestic Affairs from 1973 to 1974, and a member of the House of Representatives from 1952 to 1969. He currently serves as Senior Counselor for National and International Affairs at the Reader's Digest Association.

SETTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT

Richard Nixon was elected in 1968 on the assumption that he had a plan to end the Vietnam War. He didn't have any such plan, and my job as his first secretary of defense was to remedy that -- quickly. The only stated plan was wording I had suggested for the 1968 Republican platform, saying it was time to de-Americanize the war. Today, nearly 37 years after Nixon took office as president and I left Congress to join his cabinet, getting out of a war is still dicier than getting into one, as President George W. Bush can attest.

There were two things in my office that first day that gave my mission clarity. The first was a multivolume set of binders in my closet safe that contained a top-secret history of the creeping U.S. entry into the war that had occurred on the watch of my predecessor, Robert McNamara. The report didn't remain a secret for long: it was soon leaked to The New York Times, which nicknamed it "the Pentagon Papers." I always referred to the study as "the McNamara Papers," to give credit where credit belonged. I didn't read the full report when I moved into the office. I had already spent seven years on the Defense Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee listening to McNamara justify the escalation of the war. How we got into Vietnam was no longer my concern. (Although, in retrospect, those papers offered a textbook example of how not to commit American military might.)

The second item was another secret document, this one shorter and infinitely more troubling. It was a one-year-old request from General William Westmoreland to raise the U.S. troop commitment in Vietnam from 500,000 to 700,000. At the time he had made the request, Westmoreland was the commander of U.S. forces there. As soon as the idea had reached the ears of President Lyndon Johnson, Westmoreland's days in Saigon were numbered. Johnson bumped him upstairs to be army chief of staff, so that the Pentagon bureaucracy could dilute his more-is-better philosophy during the coming presidential campaign.

The memo had remained in limbo in the defense secretary's desk, neither approved nor rejected. As my symbolic first act in office, it gave me great satisfaction to turn down that request formally. It was the beginning of a four-year withdrawal from Vietnam that, in retrospect, became the textbook description of how the U.S. military should decamp.

Others who were not there may differ with this description. But they have been misinformed by more than 30 years of spin about the Vietnam War. The resulting legacy of that misinformation has left the United States timorous about war, deeply averse to intervening in even a just cause, and dubious of its ability to get out of a war once it is in one. All one need whisper is "another Vietnam," and palms begin to sweat. I have kept silent for those 30 years because I never believed that the old guard should meddle in the business of new administrations, especially during a time of war. But the renewed vilification of our role in Vietnam in light of the war in Iraq has prompted me to speak out.

Some who should know better have made our current intervention in Iraq the most recent in a string of bogeymen peeking out from under the bed, spawned by the nightmares of Vietnam that still haunt us. The ranks of the misinformed include seasoned politicians, reporters, and even veterans who earned their stripes in Vietnam but who have since used that war as their bully pulpit to mold an isolationist American foreign policy. This camp of doomsayers includes Senator Edward Kennedy, who has called Iraq "George Bush's Vietnam." Those who wallow in such Vietnam angst would have us be not only reticent to help the rest of the world, but ashamed of our ability to do so and doubtful of the value of spreading democracy and of the superiority of freedom itself. They join their voices with those who claim that the current war is "all about oil," as though the loss of that oil were not enough of a global security threat to merit any U.S. military intervention and especially not "another Vietnam."

The Vietnam War that I saw, first from my seat in Congress and then as secretary of defense, cannot be wrapped in a tidy package and tagged "bad idea." It was far more complex than that: a mixture of good and evil from which there are many valuable lessons to be learned. Yet the only lesson that seems to have endured is the one that begins and ends with "Don't go there." The war in Iraq is not "another Vietnam." But it could become one if we continue to use Vietnam as a sound bite while ignoring its true lessons.

I acknowledge and respect the raw emotions of those who fought in Vietnam, those who lost loved ones, and those who protested, and I also respect the sacrifice of those who died following orders of people such as myself, half a world away. Those raw emotions are once again being felt as our young men and women die in Iraq and Afghanistan. I cannot speak for the dead or the angry. My voice is that of a policymaker, one who once decided which causes were worth fighting for, how long the fight should last, and when it was time to go home. The president, as our commander-in-chief, has the overall responsibility for making these life-or-death decisions, in consultation with Congress. The secretary of defense must be supportive of those decisions, or else he must leave.

It is time for a reasonable look at both Vietnam and Iraq -- and at what the former can teach us about the latter. My perspective comes from military service in the Pacific in World War II (I still carry shrapnel in my body from a kamikaze attack on my destroyer, the U.S.S. Maddox), nine terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, and four years as secretary of defense to Nixon.

During Richard Nixon's first term, when I served as secretary of defense, we withdrew most U.S. forces from Vietnam while building up the South's ability to defend itself. The result was a success -- until Congress snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by cutting off funding for our ally in 1975. Washington should follow a similar strategy now, but this time finish the job properly.

There's plenty more where that came from, it's pretty interesting reading so far.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

So I am supposed to care what a Nixon partisan, and one of the brilliant architects of the Vietnam mess, thinks? And to listen to him defends his actions? Why exactly?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The article is long; it was like a fifth of the last Foreign Affairs. Somewhat interesting and worth reading though, despite what GePap might think.
      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 12, 2005, 23:07.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Drake endorses reading it. Now I KNOW its not worth the time.

Comment

The Vietnam War that I saw, first from my seat in Congress and then as secretary of defense, cannot be wrapped in a tidy package and tagged "bad idea."
          It can't?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

'architects of the Vietnam mess'?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

He's not exactly writing love sonnets for Bush.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

GePap doesn't want to read anything that might not agree with his worldview. That's his perogative...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Not a single mention in the entire article about the actual political realities in Iraq, of the competing ethnic and religious tensions that have no Vietnam parallel. NO talk of independent militias, and the pull of neighboring states with all thier own interets....and the same seeming lack of an idea of what victory is, what it looks like....

Yup, wasn't worth my time....

Comment

But it could become one if we continue to use Vietnam as a sound bite while ignoring its true lessons.
                    Iraq could become a Vietnam if people use it as an analogy? Umm...the fact it could become a Vietnam is kinda the point.

With respect to Iraq we are where people were in the early 60s as Vietnam began to escalate. There are similarities, and this could devolve into a real civil war, but that depends more on the majority. If too many Sunnis believe the majority is out to screw them, there will be a war and I assume we dont want to be around to do the majority's fighting for the next decade. Or maybe we do, I still think the neo-con vision goes far beyond Iraq. Maybe we want an unstable Iraq for our war on terrorism. Thats why the pols have been so intent on equating Iraq with the war on terror. Iraq makes for a nice battlefield, better than here or Afghanistan.

And we need Iraq for future operations against Iran...

No bomb for you!

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Yup, wasn't worth my time....
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not a single mention in the entire article about the actual political realities in Iraq, of the competing ethnic and religious tensions that have no Vietnam parallel.
                        Replace ethnic and religious tensions with ideological tensions and you have the same thing - a bunch of people who cant get along.

NO talk of independent militias, and the pull of neighboring states with all thier own interets....and the same seeming lack of an idea of what victory is, what it looks like....
                        Neighboring states, and states half way around the world, were and are pulling. But in the early stages of any civil war there will usually be factions, i.e., "independent militias".

Comment

"I think it's a lie to say that the president lied to the American people." - John McCain

So people who cherry pick intel and make hundreds of false claims that coincidently support their agenda are just honest folk and we're liars if we no longer consider them honest? Not one of your better one-liners, John.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

Replace ethnic and religious tensions with ideological tensions and you have the same thing - a bunch of people who cant get along.
                            HOw quaint.

There is a difference between secterian and nationalist divisions and idological ones. In the later, no matter how wns, the relative borders remain the same. Not with the former. Those tensiosn change borders- and hence are far more disruptive.

Comment

Interesting article.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X