Youth Art/Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Art/Culture

Some of the stuff some people don't reckon as art but then again they don't make that rule so..

Anyway, some culture has been risen from youth particularly and almost exclusively, some of the recent ones are of course hip hop, including rap music, graffiti, dancing, fashion, all kinds of stuff.

But I wanted to talk about another culture and art, that is 'the demo scene'. Really flourishing these days, and back in the days and old school, it was really innovative and even ground breaking. Back then they were discarded as supernerds doing some weird stuff. But it involved skills of high magnitude, they had art in it, design, music, all kinds of stuff. In fact, it was this scene that made me into computers more deeply than just gaming in the early 90s. I wanted to learn to program, of course I started that way later but it had a big impact on my life and through that I have chosen my career path.

What do you think about the demo scene, anyone interested in that?

Oh, and if you have no knowledghe about it, 'bunch of nerds whacking off to puters' will get lame soon.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

There should be no demoscene now. When it started, the beauty was in what you could do with limited resources on the computer. It involved using code as data and similar devious tricks. Steal a byte here and a byte there, lean code, great effects.

Since resources are unlimited now it makes no sense.

Comment

VetLegion, that's the truth right there. I haven't downloaded a demo in ages. I did get the Mindcandy DVD with all these oldschool and some newer demos though.

Groundbreaking part was exactly how much they were able to squeeze from those components.. simply amazing, considering the resources. LIke you said, resources are not an issue today.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I just wish the police would get around to cracking down on graffiti.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Mmm yeah some of that mess is just nasty. The tags and stuff.. that's just mess. Some of the work is really nice but what we usually get, is those messy looking scripts no one cares about and they just destroy public spaces, I'd agree with you there.
          In da butt.

Comment

Working...
          X