I think everybody should switch to Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think everybody should switch to Linux

- I booted into Ubuntu 5.10 today to work on an assignment. It told me there were critical updates available, so I let it install it.
    - Errors installing new kernel with security updates, it's completely borked. Awesome.
    - Fortunately I still have the Ubuntu 5.04 kernel on the GRUB list since I was too lazy to remove it. So I boot into that.
    - System boots, I try to re-install the new kernel. Nondescriptive "error installing package" error. Awesome.
    - I continue trying to work in this environment. Only for some reason it thinks my mouse is a left-handed mouse (reversing the buttons...I had to go in and change it). The mouse sensitivity is screwed -- on my trackpoint/touchpad it's WAY too sensitive, when I plug in my USB mouse it's WAY too slow. Whatever, I'll get by.
    - USB drives don't work.
    - Networking doesn't work (I suddenly no longer have eth0 and eth1)
    - CD Writing almost works, but it doesn't think any blank CD I put in is blank (tried it with 6 new CD-Rs and 1 new CD-RW and 1 DVD-R...)

So, I have files on my computer I need to turn in electronically by monday. And no easy way to get them off my laptop.

Linux is holding my files hostage.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

mngjfghjkhgjfdshgjkhagui4aw3

What the **** do I do to get the data off of my laptop? I think I need to completely reinstall Linux, but will I still be able to access my home directory in a new installation?

Argh.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I Was going to say.. wait for asher ot come and help out

but that won't work for this situation

JM
      (I swear, in my research work, I have lost several days to linux issues)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well there goes reinstalling Ubuntu.

It detects there was a previous installation and won't let me proceed without reformatting.

Comment

turn in your laptop?

use a floppy?

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

No floppy drive on my laptop.

I think the entire device table is hosed or something, so even that likely wouldn't work.

Comment

I booted into a recovery console and after some manually f*cking around with ifconfig, I managed to get it to talk to my network (but internet still didn't work).

I installed an FTP server on my desktop and was able to FTP all files I needed over to it...

Looks like tomorrow I get to reformat my Linux and reinstall it. Joy.

Comment

Hooray!
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Linux is rinkydink.

Comment

maybe you should switch to Red Wings?
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Detroit is overrated.

Comment

1. Remove HDD from notebook to install into rack.
                        2. Connect to Linux box via USB.
                        3. Boot box.
                        4. Transfer files off HDD.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Asher - give it up . You're cursed WRT Linux . Just give up and accept it .

Comment

1. Remove HDD from notebook to install into rack.
                            2. Connect to Linux box via USB.
                            3. Boot box.
                            4. Transfer files off HDD.
                            5. Reinstall Windows.
                            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

That mouse problem sounds like mine under windows. I can't use compaq mouses through a switchbox - moving the mouse randomly sends right and left clicks.

If you are in a hurry to get your data, just take them from your backup while you restore your system.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X