No announcement yet.

No more "Post lyrics" threads, guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more they do this the more I am willing to copy music from friends' CDs.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

It's increasingly obvious that whatever the so-called 'intellectual property' industry does, the forces of history are against them. There is just no way to put the genie of easy transmission and storage of all digitally encodable info back into it's bottle (err..kind of a lame genie I know...must not get invited to many genii parties).

It will be interesting to see, say, 50 years from now, if the whole present notion of intangible property doesn't strike people as absurd.

What will be the incentive to generate new digital stuff? Well, first off there will always be a market for new original stuff....but an item only needs to be released once. I forsee digital 'clearing house' type companies that pay individuals to generate original content. People go there and are exposed to marketing and buying opportunies. Like a web portal/napster. You also pay for storing your files online, and mesh the 'web page' concept with the 'directory holding my downloaded files' concept seamlessly.

Unfortunately, that means that they days of big bucks for generating these properties will be over, and soon. There will always be money to be made by the highly talented and original, but the days of the 'summer blockbuster', maybe even the traditional Hollywood movie, are ending. Songs too, anything digitally encodable. There will be much tears, a lot of BS, but this is an inevitable historical process IMO.

My point isn't about legality, or morality, but about the future and the trend of events. The transmission of data is just not going to go away. It's too easy, too powerful. I foresee a situation almost like the turn of the last century in regards to movies and music. That bad and that good. There will be virtually no such thing as 'big studios/record companies', instead there will be only independant artists with low overhead.

Great if you love small independent films but if you like huge Spielberg 'cast of thousands' movies you may be SOL. They will face a much reduced market, and be geared toward the cinema crowd only. DVD and whatever will be irrelevant as we can store and transfer large files on tiny cheap media. Why rent when you can own for free?

In some ways this is already happening in music, it will just take longer.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Wouldn't that be violating our fair use rights?
        That's what I'm saying -- for some reason, lyrics are not covered under fair use. I've no idea why; perhaps, when the law was written, Congress couldn't conceive of circumstances under which quoting lyrics could have an educational purpose. But there it is.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Musicians will just have to make their money off live performance for the most part. I am sure they will learn to cope, and in fact will probably sort the wheat from the chaff...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

And many bands/artists actually have their lyrics printed in the little paper that follows the CD... or at least that was the case back when I bought CDs
            In the U.S. at one point it was required by law for them to print the lyrics.

I think we can blame Tipper Gore for that one.

The PMRC was one of the most evil organization to ever exist in america. They had it out against heavy metal music.

edit: okay I'm not sure if it was required by law. I can't find any reference to it in wikipedia. But in the late 80's every album had their lyrics printed on the sleeve. But by the mid 90's this was not the case.
            Last edited by Dis; December 12, 2005, 13:01.

Comment

Working...
            X