Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ecthy
    Such as?
    So-Called Expert: "Why would you want to do [X]? Just use [Y], it does it for you."

Me: "Yes, but [Y] doesn't do [X] very well."

So-Called Expert: "Then you must be using [Y] wrong. Or else you're just doing something stupid that you shouldn't be doing, according to my Big Book Of What You're Allowed To Do."

Case in point: Asher thinks that I'm probably trying to do something stupid, but he still answered my question. On a tech forum I wouldn't have gotten an answer to my question. "Why would you call a procedure with anything but the standard offset? You should just inline the assertions on every procedure call, who cares about code bloat" or "You should just use an intermediate procedure for every context of the original procedure, who cares about procedure call overhead" or "You should just clone the procedure for every relevant context, who cares about cache misses" or "You should just not bother doing precondition elimination, who cares about a measly 50% overhead" or whatever. Nobody would have bothered to answer the question on a tech forum -- they would have just said that I should use Java or C# or Eiffel or whatever their pet language happened to be and that I should learn to like it, and that if neither language was good enough then I should buy a better computer because obviously it's not the language's fault that, e.g., the compiler is not expected to process any information on memory allocation and/or garbage collection, or that communication is not aggregated, or that unnecessary synchronization is performed, etc.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

That was the best post ever.
      I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva
        That was the best post ever.
        QFT.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

No, segfault = your pointers suck.
          Eh. Whatever.