No announcement yet.

Apolyton Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As well as good annotations of said Holy Books (I'm thinking Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible, f'rinstance), plus critiques.

On the Origin of Species by Darwin.
    The Communist Manifesto by Marx.
    On America by Tocqueville.
    The Federalist Papers by the Founding Fathers.
    Guns, Germs & Steel by Diamond.
    The Harry Potter books, to keep Imran happy (though I'd recommend them to anybody, 'cuz they're great.)

Comment

catch -22 by joesph heller
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
        catch -22 by joesph heller
        ah damn you beat me to it.
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

The unbearable lightness of being by Milan Kundera
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I think MikeH is the only poster on the poly Reading list - everyone else from Reading posts on CG IIRC.
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

MikeH posts at CG as well
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Hobbes: Leviathan

If everyone were forced to read that (especially the Libertarians: both for utility and for the pure pleasure of watching them forced to do something), we would perhaps have some real political discussion on Apolyton.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

could people please say which sort of book it is? (argument, text, fiction?)

current list:
                  the Bible - various authors - Sava
                  Utopia - Thomas Moore - Snotty
                  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - loinburger
                  Celine : Journey to the end of the night - ? - alva
                  catch -22 - joesph heller - Lawrence of Arabia
                  The unbearable lightness of being - Milan Kundera - Datajack Fruit
                  Leviathan - Hobbes - Agathon

please only pick one...

please say what sort of book it is...

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                    The unbearable lightness of being by Milan Kundera
                    Most of his stuff is interesting.

I'd recommend The Joke however.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Is it funny?
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                        Is it funny?
                        Not particularly.

Guy living in communist country sends a postcard to a friend. The postcard has a joke about the regime on it.

You can take it from there.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Any Discworld Novel, by Terry Pratchett.

Preferably start with "Guards! Guards!" though.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Penthouse letters.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              Hobbes: Leviathan

If everyone were forced to read that (especially the Libertarians: both for utility and for the pure pleasure of watching them forced to do something), we would perhaps have some real political discussion on Apolyton.
                              Hobbes is overrated (which doesn't mean people shouldn't read the Leviathan).

I'll go with

Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt
                              "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

oh... for those that are too lazy to read the Bible in full

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X