Bush admin flip flopping again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush admin flip flopping again

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

US 'shifts' position on torture

The US secretary of state says the UN treaty on torture applies to American interrogators in the US and overseas, in an apparent shift in US policy.

Correspondents say a reason for the shift might be pressure from Congress.

Her comments appear to contrast with the US Attorney-General, Alberto Gonzales, who said last year the convention did not apply to US interrogations of foreigners overseas.

US officials travelling with Ms Rice were quoted by Reuters news agency as saying it represented a marked shift in US policy.
    and they need Congress to push them hard in that direction...
    finally they are moving in the good direction
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

OneFootInTheGrave - Isn't that the name of a BBC TV program?
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
        OneFootInTheGrave - Isn't that the name of a BBC TV program?
        yes

but I didn't notice that at the time I registered

--- it's only recently that I started watching the replays and I have to admit one of the funniest 30 min of film I have ever seen is one of the episodes
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

of course the UN convention on torture applies to the US - we've ratified it.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

and according to the US constitution, it becomes the supreme law of the land.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Unless, of course, your name is George W. Bush and you're in a war, in which case all bets are off. And it's not toture, it's rendition... or something like that.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

DRoseDARs is bad for "uhh-mare-ica"
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

again?

Bush isn't the flip-flopper. Kerry is.

Comment

The Bushies don't flip-flop 'cause they're too busy spinning.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Spin is a stabilizing influence.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        Spin is a stabilizing influence.
                        I take it you've never been on the spinning teacups ride.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Bush admin flip flopping again

That's only because they wear boxers.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            The Bushies don't flip-flop 'cause they're too busy spinning.

-Arrian
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Lest we forget.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X