Apple Expands iTunes Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Expands iTunes Video

Apple is expanding the TV shows you can purchase by adding Law & Order, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and The Office(a chance to see what it's all about). Also Monk, Battlestar Galactica and..Dragnet and Knight Rider *que WTF? (I know Joncha will be excited).

Now, I'm not sure who in God's name decided Dragnet and Knight Rider deserved any bandwidth - honestly, who would buy those? Not people who own iPods, I'd wager.

Anyway, nice to see Apple improving the TV shows offered, although I'm still not sure of it. On the one hand, it would be nice to be able to download an episode of Lost, a show I've never seen but of which I've heard great things, and for 1.99$ it's not too expensive. On the other hand, buying the whole season of Lost from iTunes is only slightly cheaper than going out and buying a physical DVD set. The downside is that you would have to rip all the episodes onto your computer into iPod format, but on the flipside, you have the DVDs that you can watch on your TV. It would be nice, but unlikely, if Apple could cut a deal with the studios, so that you could buy a DVD boxed set of say, Season 1 of CSI, with an iPod-ready format put on there so you could more easily put it on your iPod. Or maybe provide some kind of discount on the iTunes season, if you buy the DVD set, or vice versa.

EDIT: Full list:

NBC: Law and Order, The Office, Surface, The Tonight Show, Late Night with
    Conan O'Brien, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, Adam-12, Knight Rider

Sci Fi: Battlestar Galactica, Battlestar Galactica Miniseries

USA: Monk

However, it would seem some of the TV shows offered are not, in fact, the entire episode. The Jay Leno episodes are, in fact ,only 2 minute segments. And the 2 full Conan episodes offered are 9.99, with 6-12min segments 1.99

Comment

I have no desire to pay for TV shows to watch them on a small screen. I already pay a fortune for hundreds of digital channels, including these shows.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Knight Rider

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          I have no desire to pay for TV shows to watch them on a small screen. I already pay a fortune for hundreds of digital channels, including these shows.
          And that makes the new...is it DISHTV? that allows you to record TV shows using their DVR, and then transfer it to your iPod.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
            And that makes the new...is it DISHTV? that allows you to record TV shows using their DVR, and then transfer it to your iPod.
            Dunno, I can do that now. I transfer things over the network from my HDTV DVR to my PC, then encode them.

Here's a screen capture from this week's Desperate Housewives. (Shrunk down from 1280x720, the native resolution).

Advantage over iTunes:

Video: 1280x720 resolution (widescreen) vs 320x240 (cropped).
            Sound: DD5.1 vs 2-channel compressed AAC.
            Legality: Both are legal.
            Price: DVR is "free".

I encode it in WMV9 format for storage, and I can stream it from my PC to my Xbox 360 in the home theatre downstairs.
            Attached Files
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Dunno, I can do that now. I transfer things over the network from my HDTV DVR to my PC, then encode them.

Here's a screen capture from this week's Desperate Housewives. (Shrunk down from 1280x720, the native resolution).

Advantage over iTunes:

Video: 1280x720 resolution (widescreen) vs 320x240 (cropped).
              Sound: DD5.1 vs 2-channel compressed AAC.
              Legality: Both are legal.
              Price: DVR is "free".

I encode it in WMV9 format for storage, and I can stream it from my PC to my Xbox 360 in the home theatre downstairs.
              That's well and good, but it doesn't apply to the situation of taking your music and video with you with an iPod or other portable player. I mean, all you've done is take a DVR and add an unnecessary step - putting it on your PC, then streaming it to your 360. No need for this, other than freeing up space on your DVD hard drive.

Comment

It:
                1) Allows me to burn them to DVD
                2) Allows me to free up space on the DVR
                3) Allows me to encode them into something to fit on my iPaq (3.5" 320x240 screen) or iPod Video (2.5" 320x240 screen), and lets me access it from anywhere in the house.

Comment

It:
                  1) Allows me to burn them to DVD
                  2) Allows me to free up space on the DVR
                  3) Allows me to encode them into something to fit on my iPaq (3.5" 320x240 screen) or iPod Video (2.5" 320x240 screen), and lets me access it from anywhere in the house.
                  Ah, #3 is the only one I hadn't fully considered. Eliminates a lot of the hassle involved in ripping and encoding each individual episode from the DVD.

Comment

Also:

4) DVDs aren't (yet) in high definition
                    5) DVDs for these shows aren't out yet

Comment

Working...
                    X