Relation arms - legs on insects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relation arms - legs on insects

We all know they have six .....hmmm "extremities". But how exactly is the relation of arms and legs between those six?

Are all six legs? Or only four, while two are arms? Or balanced three - three? Or something else?

Who knows teh truth?
    Blah

Don't forget the wings which most insects have - making eight extremities.

Comment

Ah true - that should be considered. But that opens similar questions about arachnoids too....
      Blah

Comment

Insects have six legs.
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I think its two legs, and four arms.
          Blah

Comment

Two legs, two arms like everybody else. The other two are statistical error.

Comment

It's six legs, just like humans have four legs.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

And don't forget male spiders, some of which have six legs and then two modified legs that also serve as, umm, how to delicately put, sperm delivery organs. Which means....
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

....you mean they have quasi two dicks? Maybe those insects have just two legs and the rest serves a similar purpose.

Let's hope they don't get it twisted.
                  Blah

Comment

Yeah - but they leave the end of their appendage - finger? tip? - in the female along with the sperm. So they only have two "shots" you might say.
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Wow, a plug. Once you visit, nobody else can

Comment

Yeah, but it had better be damn good sex.

Comment

Those spider penis/limbs are called pedipalps, IIRC.

The relation of limbs between humans (and other animals) and insects isn't straightforward. Anything with 4 limbs (mammals, reptiles, birds) is straightforwards - 2 forelimbs, 2 aft limbs. Sometimes all the limbs are effectively legs, sometimes the forelimbs become wings (birds and bats). In seals the forelimbs are flippers, while the 2 aft limbs are fused into a "tail".

An ant uses all limbs as legs, whereas a mantis uses the specialized forelimbs as both legs and arms (mostly "arms".)

The families of the organisms in question are sufficiently divergent that they're not wholly analagous.

Comment

The legs of insects aren't homologuous with the legs/arms of tetrapods (= amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and birds).
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Yea, arthropods are fairly separate from most other animals we know. They're allowed to be their own category because it's such a huge group.

Centipedes/millipedes have lots of legs, insects have six, spiders have eight, and crustaceans vary. They're all part of the same phylum, the largest in the animal kingdom.

Almost all other animals basically have four limbs.
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X