Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony PS3, Nintendo Revolution Thread (Part 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony PS3, Nintendo Revolution Thread (Part 3)

With the Xbox 360 out in the wild in North America and Europe (and launchring in Japan on Saturday, Korea in February, and other Asian countries in March), it's time for the PS3/Revolution thread to continue.

Today we have some pretty hilarious news regarding "Revolution". Apparently, its performance will be anything but revolutionary.

Revolution Tech Details Emerge
    Devs give us the scoop on performance power and RAM capacity. Exclusive information revealed.
    by Matt Casamassina

December 5, 2005 - Nintendo has during recent months remained publicly quiet on its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, but even so the company has taken behind-the-scenes steps to prepare development studios for the platform. We spoke with multiple software houses either creating software for or experimenting with the machine in its still incomplete stage and have been able to compile some new technical details.

Readers are advised to make two notes before continuing with this article. The first is that developers are still working with incomplete Revolution hardware. Most studios are, in fact, developing on "GameCube-based kits," according to major software houses we spoke to, which have asked to remain anonymous. The second is that developers are still without final specifications for Revolution's ATI-developed graphics chip, codenamed Hollywood.

That stated, many third parties have been partially briefed by Nintendo representatives about the Revolution hardware, its overall horsepower, and the Big N's plan for the console. Based on the information studios have relayed to us, Revolution is truly poised to cater to an altogether different game market than either Microsoft or Sony with their Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles respectively. Nintendo's machine will simply not deliver the same graphic horsepower as its competitors. Revolution is all about the controller and what it can do for gameplay experiences.

When Revolution was initially unveiled, a Nintendo executive said it would be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube." The company never commented on Revolution's horsepower again and we were later told that the initial statement was incorrect. However, according to development houses, that description accurately sums up Revolution's power.

"To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us. "But it's the controller that makes the difference and the controller is really nice."

Nintendo has said all along that sheer horsepower has not been a priority with Revolution. Rather, the company hopes to make the console small, quiet and affordable. It is very likely for this reason that the Big N chose not to make Revolution compatible with the emerging 720p, 1080i and 1080p high-definition video resolutions, which are focuses for competing consoles.

Gamers holding out for Nintendo to reverse its stance on the HD front may be in for a disappointment. Revolution will not have the RAM capacity to store and display an abundant source of high-definition textures. Third parties have revealed to us that the console will top out with 128MBs of RAM, and possibly even less. One studio would not give us an exact figure, but did say, "The same as GameCube plus an extra 64MB of main RAM." That number is by comparison nearly triple the amount of memory in GameCube. However, it is a far cry from the 512MBs present in Xbox 360.

One studio we spoke to hinted at the possibility of accessing further Revolution RAM, but its comments were cryptic. "There is more RAM that you can use, but Nintendo is using that for general memory, like game saves and all sorts of other things. You could use it, but you can't rely on it." This comment seems to suggest that developers might be able to tap into Revolution's 512MBs of on-board Flash memory, but to our knowledge such a solution would be too slow to utilize in games.

Still, the studios we spoke with are still very intrigued by Revolution and are not ruling out the possibility of additional graphic horsepower. No developer that chatted with us had, or was willing to share, details on the console's GPU, Hollywood. One studio said: "As soon as we find out what it can do then we'll know if Revolution will just be like an Xbox or something a little more."

Asked if it was developing for Revolution, one major third party source said that it was well past the experimental stage and was evaluating what types of games might work on the platform. "We are looking at it quite differently. It's like another current generation platform for us. But it's such a nice controller that it opens up a lot of possibilities. It's very different and it's very precise."

Finally, quizzed about publishers' internal reaction to the device, a source responded: "People are interested, but they're still taking it all in at the moment. I'm sure [Nintendo is] going to get a fair amount of support. Probably a lot of people will initially look at existing franchises and whether or not they can kind of do customized versions for Revolution using most of the assets they've got. But whether they'll say, "Okay, let's do something completely original for it," that's the other question because it could be quite expensive to do that. Not as expensive as doing a PS3 or Xbox 360 game. But if you're a third party and you want to do cross platform, if you're doing a game on 360 you can do it on PS3 or PC using the same assets and that does make it a bit easier."

Nintendo has consistently downplayed the role of horsepower with Revolution, often saying that graphics have reached a "saturation point" in today's games. Nintendo bigwig Shigeru Miyamoto has suggested that players might not be able to tell the difference between the new Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and some high-definition games.

The Big N will reveal much more about Revolution beginning early next year, according to company executives, and will show first games at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 next May in Los Angeles. Stay tuned for more.
    Good God.

This says it all:
    "To be honest, it's not much more powerful than an Xbox. It's like a souped up Xbox," a major third party source revealed to us.
    (And they're not talking about the Xbox 360...)
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Today we have some pretty hilarious news regarding "Revolution". Apparently, its performance will be anything but revolutionary.

How is that news? It's been known for a long time that the Revolution would be underpowered and not much of a leap from current-gen consoles.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Nintendo retracted their original "2-3x more powerful than Gamecube" statement which started that "rumour mongering", saying it was "incorrect".
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Guess I missed that. I've always figured that the Revolution would only be 2 or 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

meh, so what?

As said they are going for a different audience and are banking on the unique controller.

Makes perfectly good sense to me. They can't compete head on with the Xbox and playstation, so why not go after a different market? Plus except for tech nerds who get off on how many ram these things have, better graphics aren't going to make any difference for games like Mario Party or Mario Kart or whathaveyou. So Nintendo is smart.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

exactly - so what... for PS3/Xbox2 type games I have a PC that is much better at anything they can give me. After all those consoles are here to give cheaper/simpler gaming alternative for the masses.

Not for me... I am buying Revolution though, as it will give a compelling alternative (at least this is how it looks at the moment)... surely it goes in that direction.

I mean better gfx/more physics... PC was doing it better than the last gen and will be doing it better than the next gen consoles... so whatever it's a competition PS3 or Xbox2 can never win. And PS3 or Xbox2 with HDTV will cost you a lot more than a good PC box with a good monitor too when we are at it.

I mean those two consoles will be good for their intended audience (which is huge) but it's not for me. Revolution on the other hand could do very well as it offers a different alternative, but than again it remains to be seen how things roll out real-life. I'd say that Revo will do a lot better than GC did this gen.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Nintendos are for kids!

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                meh, so what?

As said they are going for a different audience and are banking on the unique controller.

Makes perfectly good sense to me. They can't compete head on with the Xbox and playstation, so why not go after a different market? Plus except for tech nerds who get off on how many ram these things have, better graphics aren't going to make any difference for games like Mario Party or Mario Kart or whathaveyou. So Nintendo is smart.
                If Nintendo was smart their profit wouldn't be in a steep decline.

This is an utterly stupid move -- a child could tell you that the "Revolution" controller is gimicky at best.

You know what else was innovative? "Virtual Boy".

Nintendo could and can compete with Sony/MS for power, it's just that they're obsessed with having cheap consoles (which worked so well for this generation...). IBM and ATI are making the CPU an GPU respectively, just like Xbox 360, and it'll be out over a year later. If they wanted to, they could have a monster of a machine as well as a "unique" controller.

Comment

Is it true that you will be able to connect the Nintendo revolution to the internet and download avery nes snes and n64 game and save it in the memory for few money ?

I would buy it just for that, I am the kind of person who only buys 2 or 3 games per year anyway.

Viva Nintendo
                  I need a foot massage

Comment

Yes, but they're charging money for it and the internal storage is said to be 512MB of flash memory only.

Comment

I've long since given up console-frenzy anyway, but the Revolution's controller sounded pretty bizarre when I read about it. Why would I want to play games with a remote control?

If they could make it decently cheap, I'd be a lot more interested in that than in a $400 moneysink though. Squaresoft seems to have been smoking crack lately and Sony doesn't have a monopoly on them anymore anyway, so...well, I'd rather play Smash Bros. than Halo, no matter how lame that sounds. I never saw much of the charm in FPS. It's all frantic muscle-memory routines.

Actually, no, I'd still rather just keep to Civ and computers. Stupid consoles.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Nintendo's profit in steep decline? Not surprising, given that the Gamecube is at the end of its lifecycle. Apparently they still stand by their profit estimates for the entire year, which is reasonable given the success of the DS and games like Nintendogs.

Let me know when Microsoft makes a profit on the XBox...
                        mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Well, it's the games that count, not the specs.

And...

GP2X for the win!
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I would not knock the Revolution until one has tried the controller...

Then you can curse it with good reason...
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Hon
                              Nintendo's profit in steep decline? Not surprising, given that the Gamecube is at the end of its lifecycle. Apparently they still stand by their profit estimates for the entire year, which is reasonable given the success of the DS and games like Nintendogs.

Let me know when Microsoft makes a profit on the XBox...
                              The Gamecube is at the end of its lifecycle? The PS2 is still going strong, and the Gamecube stil has Zelda and other games coming.

It's profits are in steep decline because the home console market is getting dominated by Sony/MS, and now Nintendo's traditional cash-cow in handheld gaming is slowly going to Sony's PSP.

Comment

Working...
                              X