Transporting vehicles across the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting vehicles across the country

The wife and I need to ship a car from New York to California, and we can't find anyone to drive it. Can anybody suggest a reliable vehicle transport company (preferably with door-to-door service)? Does anyone have any experiences or anecdotes to share?

Hmmmm...

should of mentioned this about a month earlier, could of set up a roadtrip.

Though do you have any friends who are students?

Where are you moving to by the way?
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Why can't you drive it yourself?

I just recently drove from Toronto to Calgary (~3800 km).

California to NY is ~4600km.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher: We (wife, dog & I) are driving a van or mini-van with our important crap. Most of our stuff going in a POD, need a way to get the car there.

Smiley: No students, possible (though very doubtful) chance of a friend doing it. Moving to great new house with low rent in a suburban development just on southern border of Stockton (gated against the savages). Wifey starting shiny new job in Oakland. I see you're at Berkeley, cool town. Hope to move to Alameda in a year or two.

Comment

Just let the dog drive.

If thats not an option I'd contact a car dealer and ask if they know any car transporting companies that would do jobs such as this one.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I've (well, my wife has) shipped a car by train in Canada from Vancouver to Toronto. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't do the same in the US, especially NY to Cali. It wasn't particularly expensive, either.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Can't you ship it by train? You wouldn't even get the mileage added.

edit. oops
              What?

Comment

Here is a link to a list of people that provide this service on a national basis:

Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

How much did they pay your firm for that?

Comment

They don't know yet, but they'll certainly be wondering what the hell Apolyton is when they get Ming's next monthly invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                      Can't you ship it by train? You wouldn't even get the mileage added.

edit. oops
                      Car transport companies don't drive the cars themselves; even if it's not by train they put 10 cars on the back of a truck and drive the truck.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        How much did they pay your firm for that?

Actually, a friend of mine asked the same question, and I sent him the same link. It was the best list I could find when I did the original searches
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Car transport companies don't drive the cars themselves; even if it's not by train they put 10 cars on the back of a truck and drive the truck.
                          I was referring to his initial post " we can't find anyone to drive it. "
                          What?

Comment

My relocation service found someone who moved our cars for us. Was really convienent.

Stockton, South Side, pretty bad right now, but they are trying to develop the area to attract more people. I hated Stockton, I had a friend who went to UOP. Use to me nice to go and watch the 49ers practice there, but they don't any more. I have nothing nice to say about the place except that my wife's aunt lives there and she likes it, not to far from Sonora or Bear Valley which are nice getaways.

Oakland sucks even more, especially Alameda. I would never move there. The commute is going to suck, just so you know. I would suggest not going through Tracy, since you're on the south side, even though it seems fastest, but Tracy has a ton of ppl going to the bay area use that road. I would suggest 4, I think, that comes in just south of the Martinez bridge.

All in all, that commute will suck any way you go.

Have fun in the Central Valley.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

When are you looking to do the move?

I know some people in New York who are looking to get to the Bay Area next August. They probably wouldn't mind borrowing your car.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X