Age of Consent Paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaguar

I was expecting a much more nuanced, and um, less wrong response.
    The real question ... note 1 (ii) which prohibts, among other things, 'suffocation'.

So if you enjoy the occasional autoerotic strangulation, does that make your partner a criminal?

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
      It's thinking like yours that let Hitler come to power.

snoopy

I think if this were teh pub, you'd win the prize for best use of one thread's arguments in another unrelated thread

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        I'm anti alcohol.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Age of Consent Paradox

Originally posted by snoopy369

WOOT! A signal I can ignore anything that follows.

Ozzy, regardless of your personal opinion on the matter, EVERY point can be open for disagreement. Even scientifically indicated ones. Nobody understands the brain well enough to seriously state that 100% for certain, rational adult thought occurs at precisely 5200 days after birth, or anything similar. Neither can you necessarily agree that you and Sava hold the same opinion on what 'rational adult thought' is.

Open debates are what makes this forum fun. Saying it's not open for disagreement, just says you've closed your mind, which isn't good for any of us.
          Sava's mind was closed the moment he opened this thread. If he was debating what 'rational adult thought' was, or debated the validity of the studies, that'd be one thing.

He just responded with a typical "I disagree, 14 year olds are teh st00pid!!"

That isn't an open debate, that is blindly repeating an assertion no matter what the context.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Age of Consent Paradox

Originally posted by Jaguar

My best friend's little sister is 14, and she's kind of cute. Would it be OK for me, as a 17-year-old, to get involved with her?
            my post got lost

but sure.. isn't that the standard?

seniors date freshman in highschool all the time

whlie there is an age gradation.. that is common, and you have to start allowing it at some point

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Age of Consent Paradox

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Sava's mind was closed the moment he opened this thread. If he was debating what 'rational adult thought' was, or debated the validity of the studies, that'd be one thing.

He just responded with a typical "I disagree, 14 year olds are teh st00pid!!"

That isn't an open debate, that is blindly repeating an assertion no matter what the context.
              But... it's true. I didn't say they were stupid. I said they weren't mature or experienced enough to make informed decisions. And they aren't.

You don't need studies to prove this. Go to a high school. Go to any high school. It's fact. It's common sense.

I was 14 once... my memories of that time in my life are quite fresh. I remember all my friends when I was 14. I remember other kids when I was 14. The thought of 14 year olds voting scares me.

Absolutely my mind is closed on this matter.

You are wrong. Period.

But if you want to "debate" it. Be my guest.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The thought of Sava voting scares me.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
                  The thought of Sava voting scares me.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

why? this is america... it's not like a vote matters
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Then why do you get such a hard on opposing other people voting?

Comment

I have already explained this

and this is not 1 vote... 14-18 year olds is a large age group...
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Perhaps they could vote in a national law allowing 14 year olds to drink!

... then the stupid ones would kill themselves off and/or permanently impair their sexual functions, and we'd have a massive example of darwinian evolution, human-style

(I'm not really serious here, btw I have no idea why i'm being so feisty today ... )

Comment

i saw the headline and thought this was about gaming. Some bizarre joint venture of Ensemble Studios, Rockstar, and the nice Swedes who bring us EU2 and HOI.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Age of Consent Paradox

Originally posted by OzzyKP

This point isn't open for disagreement.

Many studies have shown that 14 = rational adult thought. Your personal anecdotes don't change that, nor do your personal thoughts or biases. That's just how it is.
                              Really? What criteria did they use for "adult thought"? Merely being able to match scores on an IQ or a scholastic achievement test isn't a sufficient measure.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

On another subject but close to the subject:
                                Again, if i'm right. Locke was defining citizenship by having a title of property over land(or anything valuble). It's a interesting idea... not applicable in our modern world. But interesting in the way he see who can participate in the political world and who not. Since for him, he look the political world like a contract between owners to protect what they are owning...
                                The Framers had a property requirement in the Constitution... They saw communism coming before Marx was born.

Comment

Working...
                                X