4 murders on a Thursday night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 murders on a Thursday night...

Sometimes it's hard to stomach what goes down in DC and many other American cities. Whiskey tango foxtrot. DC only has 600,000 people in it. It's enough to drive people to despair.

This is a batch of amazingly dumb murders. One guy shoots dead another while high on PCP over $5. A 17 year old kid is shot dead because he won't remove a hockey mask -- presumably he doesn't want to give up his identity; maybe a gang dispute. A man is shot dead during a botched robbery -- presumably out of spite because he has no money to turn over to the robbers.

Mostly this stuff is due to drugs. People do screwy stuff when they're on drugs or looking for a fix. But why so many murders on a single night that isn't even a weekend night? Is it because the weather turned cold that night?

D.C. Killings Prompt Emergency Measures

By Del Quentin Wilber
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, December 3, 2005; Page B01

Four people were killed in the District late Thursday and early yesterday, prompting top police officials to invoke crime-emergency powers that allow them to more quickly change officers' schedules and restrict days off.

D.C. Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey has not turned to emergency powers since the summer of 2004, after a spike in juvenile auto theft. Ramsey said last night that he felt he needed more flexibility because robberies have increased recently and 24 killings have been recorded in the past 32 days.

"We have to keep the streets safe," Ramsey said. "These are the kinds of things that spread fear and panic in the community."

The four killings do not appear to be related, police officials said. The victims included a 17-year-old who was shot after he apparently refused to remove a ski mask; a 55-year-old man slain in a drug-related argument over $5; a 24-year-old transgender person killed in an apparent robbery attempt; and a 32-year-old man, police said.

The emergency powers allow commanders to adjust schedules without giving officers 14 days' notice, as required under the union contract. Ramsey said he also will restrict days off for the next 45 days and increase patrols in hard-hit neighborhoods and retail areas.

Union officials reacted angrily to Ramsey's announcement, which they learned about from a reporter. They said that officers already are exhausted from working 12-hour days and mandatory overtime shifts, and that the initiative could spoil their holiday plans.

"It's just ridiculous," said Sgt. Gregory I. Greene, chairman of the D.C. police labor committee for the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 1. "The only ones suffering from this are the officers. It's Christmas. It seems like Ramsey is out of answers about how to address the crime problems."

Although homicides have surged in recent weeks, the District's tally of 182 killings so far this year is one fewer than for the same period last year. The city remains on pace to have fewer than 200 homicides for the second year in a row, the first time that mark would be achieved since the mid-1980s.

Police have grown increasingly concerned about a rise in robberies in all quadrants of the city. Robberies jumped from 284 in July to 475 in October. Police increased patrols, and robberies dipped last month to 376 reported cases.

The four people were killed within six hours of one another.

The violence began at 11:10 p.m. Thursday when the 17-year-old was shot at 14th and Chapin streets NW, police said. The youth, identified as Norman Jenkins of the 2300 block of 15th Street NW, was shot several times when he refused someone's order to remove his ski mask.

A half-hour later, the 55-year-old man was shot to death after an argument in the 4600 block of Blaine Street NE. Police did not release his name because his relatives hadn't been notified.

Police officials said last night that they had arrested someone in the case but did not release the suspect's name. The victim and the suspect were smoking PCP and got into a fight over $5, police said.

The third killing occurred about 1:30 a.m. in what police described as a robbery attempt in the 2000 block of Savannah Terrace SE. Elexius Woodland, 24, and a friend were walking away from a convenience store, where they had bought food, when at least two men in a dark car approached them. The men demanded money and one fired a handgun, police said. No money was taken.

Woodland, who lived nearby, died after being wounded in the face and stomach, authorities said. The other victim was wounded in the arm and treated at a hospital for injuries that weren't life-threatening.

Three hours after Woodland was slain, police found the body of William Carlton, 33, who was shot to death in the 1200 block of Eaton Road SE, police said. Investigators said Carlton lived in the 3300 block of Wheeler Road SE.

Police urged anyone with information about the homicides to call detectives at 202-727-9099. Police offer rewards of up to $25,000 for information in homicides.
    Last edited by DanS; December 3, 2005, 14:35.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

America’s 25 safest big cities/metro areas with their crime index (what ever that means):

Nassau-Suffolk NY 1,968.
    Middlesex-Somerset-Hunterdon NJ 2,210.
    Monmouth-Ocean NJ 2,295.9
    Bergen-Passaic NJ 2,392.
    Scranton-Wilkes-Barre-Hazleton PA 2,540.
    Harrisburg-Lebanon-Carlisle PA 2,563.4
    San Jose CA 2,645.
    Pittsburgh PA 2,772.
    Orange County CA 2,788.
    Ann Arbor MI 2,903.
    Albany-Schenectady-Troy NY
    Boston MA-NH-ME 2,919.
    New York NY 2,973.
    Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton PA
    Syracuse NY 3,223.
    Philadelphia PA-NJ 3,389.
    Hartford CT 3,426.
    Rochester NY 3,434.
    Newark NJ 3,492.
    Buffalo-Niagara Falls NY 3,512.
    San Diego CA 3,611
    Providence-Fall River-Warwick RI-MA 3,659.
    Jersey City NJ 3,724
    Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland MI 3,760

I was supprised to find Philadelphia on the list of safest cities but I guess the suburbs are a nice quiet place. Here in San Diego there aren’t to many murders and a large percentage of the ones which do occur are typically tied to the trans-border drug trade and the Mexican Mafia which runs it. Still, the last thing these people want to do is attract attention to themselves so when murders do occur it is typically drug trafficers killing each other and average people aren’t effected by this.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

and DC has very harsh gun laws. Of course that doesn't really mean anything when Virginia has very few gun laws. But I just felt like throwing that troll out there.

Comment

Some of the suburbs are nice and quiet here as well. Montgomery county has something like twice the population of DC (1.2 million), but probably has about 20 murders a year.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What else to expect when your criminals are armed to the teeth ?If you want less murders, get rid of the weapons.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I don't see Las Vegas on that list of safe cities. Our city really isn't that dangerous. Most of the people killed in my city did something to piss somebody off. I'm not saying they deserved to die. I'm just saying guys like me who don't piss people off really have nothing to fear. Though sometimes I do get into road rage situations. I know one of these days some guy is going to kill me on the road. But I'm perfectly fine with that. Dying is worth it just so I can vent my anger at other drivers. . Random violence is very unheard of in my city. It's nearly all gang or drug related.

And really, I'm still at an age where I believe I'm immortal. I just cannot invision myself dying. Dying would be too easy an escape from this miserable life. I'm convinced I would never get off that easy. Okay I really can't say that now. As I'm no longer in a depression, and I'm the best I've felt my entire life. But that would have been applicable 1 year ago.

Comment

Nassau-Suffolk NY 1,968.
              Awesome, I live in the safest suburb area.
              "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
              "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
              Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Monmouth-Ocean NJ 2,295.9

Woot

Though I traded that in for the Atlanta suburbs

Then again, it doesn't snow here
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I had forgotten that you were a carpet bagger.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

14th and Chapin isn't that far away, and it's close to Meridian Hill Park, which is a wonderful park in a yuppy-fying part of U Street/CoHi. It's a bit unnerving, especially with the spike in the number of robberies in U Street. A large number of crimes are being committed by the under 18 and under 21 set. Ozzy will hate me, but I'm wondering if the DC council will enact/enforce a curfew?
                    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Syracuse one of the safest cities! Although I think I recall it being pointed out that because its so damm cold here during the winter, that no one wants to go out and commit crimes anyways....

D

Comment

Richmond, Virginia is one of the top five most dangerous.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

well, that is much better than latin america at least
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

Who would have imagined that the Tri-state region is so safe.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              What else to expect when your criminals are armed to the teeth ?If you want less murders, get rid of the weapons.
                              Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                              X