The New New Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New New Thing

Anybody read the book? I just finished it last night.

Jim Clark is definitely psychotic (in a good way ). He reminds me of a boss I once had.

I thought the book captured the nature of Silicon Valley and in many ways the United States as a whole very well. The book was irreverent and exaggerated, which I thought fit the subject matter.

It was funny how the author mentioned Google at the end, considering that the book was published in the beginning of 2000, 4.5 years before the company went public.

Welcome to the new new thing!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

It was OK. His Liars Poker was a far better read, likely for his actually living the life. I also enjoyed Moneyball better than NNT as well.

Comment

Liars Poker is next on my reading list.

I liked TNNT because I can remember the events and it's fun to hear the business story behind them. For instance, I've known of Marc Andreessen since using the NCSA Mosaic internet browser, which I guess would have been 1994.

Also, as referenced above with regard to Google, the story in TNNT could be retold now and it wouldn't be much different in substance, even if in detail. With Google, the engineers have taken over Silicon Valley even more than during the late 90s. The crazy people are running the assylum now. Maybe I'm a new new thing junky, because this prospect is exciting to me.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The book reminded me a lot of The Great Gatsby.

Comment

TNNT

The boat stories are hilarious, and I literally ROFL when reading about that morning roadshow meeting in Amsterdam
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The Amsterdam roadshow story was great.

How to explain to Western European risk-averse investors that you're trying to be "the one ******* in the middle"?

Comment

The Swiss banker story was priceless too.

Investment objectives? "To get my money back."

Risk profile? ....

Comment

I read that book in 2002 or something. Entertaining but there isn't much you can take out of it which would help other managers. Just another hero warship book.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No, it certainly isn't a management how-to.

Comment

Or a how not-to
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                    X