• Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's what I meant
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Namaste
      -German Nationalism and National Identity in the Shadow of France
      Where do you study??? I will show you "shadow of France" !!!

Seriously:

What is the class system in the US like? I mean, from what I´ve read here, it´s almost impossible to tell what you´re studying...

In Germany, if I study Business Informatics, I´ll have classes for business and for informatics. No psych or stuff..
      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
      Let me eat your yummy brain!
      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Originally posted by Micha

Seriously:

What is the class system in the US like? I mean, from what I´ve read here, it´s almost impossible to tell what you´re studying...

In Germany, if I study Business Informatics, I´ll have classes for business and for informatics. No psych or stuff..
        US Universities are slightly ridiculous in their complementary requirements.

Only something like 1/2 of your credits are focused on your area of study (if it's technical or scientific, at least). The rest are bull**** classes from a defined variety of areas.

Which is, of course, why US graduates in the sciences get their asses kicked so hard when they enter graduate school. You can graduate in physics from a respectable school in the US without ever having taken statistical mechanics, only having 1 quantum course, 1 EM course etc.

It's silly.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          Civil?
          Yeah, we have a common first year for all Engineers, then in second year we pick which discipline to take. I'm probably going to end up going Civil Engineering.

Comment

Don't be too upset.

I study at Rutgers University in New Jersey. Strangely, we have a lot of really interesting classes being offered for the first time next semester and that is one of them. I'm very much looking forward to it.

US class systems are roughly as KrazyHorse has described them. I managed to work my classes into a two complementary major programs though so I've been able to mostly focus on my own interests, though I've had to take a handful of utterly useless classes.
            We're falling from ecstasy...

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalcadeus
              Yeah, we have a common first year for all Engineers, then in second year we pick which discipline to take. I'm probably going to end up going Civil Engineering.
              Which school?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Queens. You're at UofT right? I think that we lifted one of your football goal posts awhile ago to use as the Grease Pole that all Engineering frosh have to climb before they become a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavalcadeus
                  Queens. You're at UofT right?
                  OMG no. UofT has no standards, judging by one of the instructors posting on this site.

I'm from UofC.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Next term for me:
                    • PSYC 345 (Psychology 345: Social Psychology): Social psychological approaches to understanding social influence, social perception and cognition, attitudes and group dynamics.
                    • SENG 421 (Software Engineering 421: Software Metrics): The theory of measurement, experimental design, software metrics collection, statistics for analyzing measurement data, software size and software structure, resource measurement, prediction of software characteristics, planning software measurement, software quality and reliability.
                    • SENG 511 (Software Engineering 511: Software Process Improvement): A study of software development processes from an evolutionary, industrial perspective. Interaction between development principles, software processes, and software quality. Process and product dependencies. Systematic improvement of software process based on empirical evaluation of technologies. Current industrial process improvement models.
                    • CPSC 559 (Computer Science 559: Distributed Systems): Essential issues in modern distributed systems. Network topologies, communication schemes and distributed system structures. Distributed file systems and distributed coordination problems. Open systems architectures and dejure/default standard methodologies will be discussed, and reliability and system performance issues will also be introduced.
                    • CPSC 571 (Computer Science 571: Design and Implementation of Database Systems): Implementation and design of modern database systems including query modification/optimization, recovery, concurrency, integrity, and distribution.

Comment

Next semesters:

= Monney and Banks: 3 Credits. The requisite of this course is Principe of Macroeconomics... So I think this course will be really cool, and much deeper than my brief course on money in my macro course.

= History of economics thinking: 3 Credits(Reqs: Micro and Macro) Look like we will study the economical context of each economical theory.

= Political Forces: 3 Credits... Dont know what this course will look like.

= International political economics: 3 Credits. The name of the course pretty define itself.
                      -------------------------------
                      bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        Next term for me:
                        • PSYC 345 (Psychology 345: Social Psychology): Social psychological approaches to understanding social influence, social perception and cognition, attitudes and group dynamics.
                        What textbook are you using?
                        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Dunno yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X