Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four foreign aid workers kidnapped in Iraq

41 minutes ago

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Four Western aid workers, two believed to be from Canada, one from Britain and one from the United States, have been kidnapped in
    Iraq, the organization they were working for said on Sunday.

The British and U.S. embassies in Baghdad both said they were investigating reports that their nationals had gone missing. There is no Canadian representative in Iraq.

"We are aware of the report ... and are investigating as a matter of urgency," a spokeswoman for the U.S. embassy in Baghdad said, a message echoed by a British embassy spokeswoman.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman in London named the missing Briton as Norman Kember, from northwest London.

She said British officials were "urgently investigating" reports that Kember had been kidnapped, but had no more details.

Kember was representing a number of aid groups in Iraq, the BBC quoted his wife, Pat, as saying.

"People are being very, very good to me and I am being supported," she said.

The humanitarian workers are thought to have been snatched from a violent neighborhood of western Baghdad on Saturday.

A representative of their group in Baghdad, who refused to be named, said they had received no word on their condition and had no information on the group that had seized them.

It is the first kidnapping of foreigners in Baghdad since an Irish journalist on an assignment in Iraq was kidnapped in October. The journalist, Rory Carroll, was released unharmed after 36 hours.

Earlier this year and during last year, there was a spate of abductions of foreigners by insurgents looking to put pressure on foreign forces in Iraq.

More than 100 foreigners were seized in all, and dozens of them were executed by their kidnappers, who placed videos of some of the executions on the Internet.

Over the same period, hundreds of Iraqis have been kidnapped by criminal gangs and militants, either for ransom or to put pressure on the Iraqi government as it tries to face down a violent insurgency.
    Again, not military members. People trying to help.
    I've nothing to say; we've discussed the rules of war.
    I only want to make note of the event. If it's becoming so commonplace we ignore, that speaks badly of us, too.

I will say that maybe when the Canadians get through repairing the weather, they migh think about putting a representative to Iraq in place.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

You guys have really made that place a safe haven.
    What?

Comment

I want my Texas one-liner!!!
      What?

Comment

Re: Four foreign aid workers kidnapped in Iraq

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        I will say that maybe when the Canadians get through repairing the weather, they migh think about putting a representative to Iraq in place.
        Why? So our embassy members can be kidnapped too?

You're the ones that invaded the country and let anarchy take hold. You're responsible for security. Until it's secure enough that this becomes the exception rather than the rule our government's not going to provide targets for insurgents, and is going to recommend that no Canadians travel to Iraq, even as aid workers.
        Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 27, 2005, 17:51.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We'll be happy to help the Iraqis, but we didn't sign on to fight this war, and we're not going to put our people in harm's way just because you haven't finished the war yet.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Re: Four foreign aid workers kidnapped in Iraq

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            You want us to go in clean up your mess. How very american of you.

Comment

30 months in and the insurgency's running as strong as ever. No thanks, we'd rather not build a new embassy in Beir...er...Baghdad right now.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
              X