Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Olympics 2012

Giant mosque for 40,000 may be built at London Olympics

A MASSIVE mosque that will hold 40,000 worshippers is being proposed beside the Olympic complex in London to be opened in time for the 2012 Games.

The project’s backers hope the mosque and its surrounding buildings would hold a total of 70,000 people, only 10,000 fewer than the Olympic stadium.
    Its futuristic design features wind turbines instead of the traditional minarets, while a translucent latticed roof would replace the domes seen on most mosques. The complex is designed to become the “Muslim quarter” for the Games, acting as a hub for Islamic competitors and spectators.

Wind turbines for minarets.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

How about they started regarding the athletes as individuals, not mere flocks belonging to one faith or another.

Comment

Why are they building a mosque with tax payer money? Either they build houses of worship for every piss penny sect that comes along or they don't build any for anyone. The best bet to to save the poor taxpayers a few quid and let the punters pray on their own dime.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Its a proposal, and one that may not see the light of day considering who the backers of the proposal are:

Tablighi Jamaat [a worldwide Islamic missionary group] has come under scrutiny from western security agencies since 9/11. Two years ago, according to The New York Times, a senior FBI anti-terrorism official claimed it was a recruiting ground for Al-Qaeda. British police investigated a report that Mohammad Sidique Khan, leader of the July 7 London bombers, had attended its present headquarters in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. In August, Bavaria expelled three members of the organisation on the grounds that it promoted Islamic extremism.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Why are they building a mosque with tax payer money? Either they build houses of worship for every piss penny sect that comes along or they don't build any for anyone. The best bet to to save the poor taxpayers a few quid and let the punters pray on their own dime.
          It is estimated that the project would cost more than £100m and donations are being sought from Britain and abroad.

Comment

lol it's your money...
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

The Tablighi Jamaat ? I wouldn't trust these guys even as far as I could throw them . These are some of the guys responsible for the Talibanisation of Pakistan and Bangladesh . They also support terrorism , both in terms of money and ideology . You should read the transcripts of the speeches some of their leaders make at their gatherings . This has to be some sort of sick joke .

Last edited by aneeshm; November 27, 2005, 12:07.

Comment

Although having an Olympics in an Islamic country would be a good idea. Are there any cities that could handle it? Maybe some of those filthy rich countries along the Persian Gulf.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

they only want the wind turbines so they can throw the infidels into them
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I can't see it happening.
                    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

I do like the idea of a modernized mosque though. Why do they build fake domes and minarets? Aren't there any masons left in england or did Blair have them all shot?
                      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Yeah, some guy from Brazil was the last one.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          You do realize that Britain has a STATE Church, right? They've built a number of churches (for one faith, of course) with tax payer money .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Actually, most of them were conversion works. The Catholics want it all back.

Comment

The article says something about donations being collected, so maybe it wouldn't be built with government money. Obviously its construction has to be approved by the government.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X