Tech help - desktop hijacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech help - desktop hijacking

I appear to've become encumbered with some particularly nasty malware infection.

First, I continuously get a flash from the system tray about that Windows has detected spyware infection. It asks you to click it to let windows DL the latest antispyware soft, but clicking it has no appreciable effect, and it's apparently impossible to turn off.

Second, my desktop was changed into a big sign saying the computer is infected with spyware, and shouldn't be used before it's been cleansed. Removing some bad stuff that AdAware and AVG found got rid of that, but it still refuses to show my desktop image - instead it just shows the background colour (except during startup and shutdown, when my image does show).

I've deleted absolutely everything that AdAware, SpybotSD, and AVG (antivirus soft) finds, but it doesn't help. XoftSpy finds more stuff (incl something called "SpySheriff"), but it won't remove anything unless I fork up $30.

Anyone got any tips on what I should do? I'd rather not wipe the drive, altho that's an option.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

I'm leaving for the Dutch Poly meet in a moment, but here are some quick steps that may help you:

1) Perform Windows Update.

2) Scan online for viruses. Use one of these two (or both):
    - http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

3) Run Spybot, Ad-Aware and CWShredder in Windows Safe Mode.

The Safe Mode part is crucial.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try those.

CWShredder?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It's more a browser hijack-thing, so it may not apply to your problem, but just to not take a chance: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Interne...Shredder.shtml

Comment

I got rid of the warnings by deleting something called winstall.exe (a component of SpySheriff, according to trendmicro). Still can't wrest control of my desktop ...

Comment

switch to os X
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I prefer an unsafe OS to one so crappy it doesn't need to be infected to annoy you.

Comment

I have got that kind of stuff a couple of times, I only had to remove the .bmp file from the wallpaper folder, problem solved.
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Use linux. Adviced distributives: SuSE, Debian.
                  money sqrt evil;
                  My literacy level are appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                    I have got that kind of stuff a couple of times, I only had to remove the .bmp file from the wallpaper folder, problem solved.
                    I got rid of the image, but now it refuses to show any wallpaper image. Under Desktop->Properties, the option to set a wallpaper is greyed out.

Comment

Don't negotiate with the hijackers. If you do so the terrorists win.....

In other words: bump.
                      Blah

Comment

kellys-korner-xp.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, kellys-korner-xp.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

(line 128)

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                          kellys-korner-xp.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, kellys-korner-xp.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

(line 128)
                          It doesn't seem to help. It doesn't even revert the screensaver to the WinXP default one.

Comment

Download less pr0n.

Comment

Run regedit (start -> run -> regedit) and search for "wallpaper". Probably there's some line with "nowallpaperoptions = 1" or something similar. In that case, it's probably safe to delete it to solve your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X