Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I unequivocally uninstall Firefox from my computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I unequivocally uninstall Firefox from my computer?

Yes, Firefox and I need marriage counseling... or rather, Firefox has gone absolutely bat**** crazy and I want every last trace of it off my computer so I can try to reinstall it. I've uninstalled twice now (first v1.0.7 is the version that became corrupted and now v1.5 beta which is behaving the same as the first), fresh reinstalled it twice and I still can't get the browser to work. I had to use the Control Panel to uninstall and I deleted the entire /Mozilla Firefox folder too, but something is still being left behind, thwarting my efforts.

Here's what it does:

1) I double-click any of my Internet shortcuts or the Firefox icon itself
    2) The browser window pops up and freezes. The little swirling icon in the upper right indicating a loading page freezes as well.
    3) I can't close the window; I have to ctrl-alt-dlt and kill the process, which is using 99% of the systems resources

This is really irritating. It ate my bookmarks (again) last night too. Maybe I should move on to Opera. I don't like having to shack up with my ex, Internet Explorer...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

What plugins/extensions do you use? It sounds like you've got a bad one, and since those config files are left there by default, it doesn't remove them.

Delete the following folder then install:
    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I don't even know anymore, I've gotten so used to them being part of the browser. But since you've shown me an alternate path, maybe just maybe I can fix this and start again.

I've had a bad day (was run off the road and into the dirt median on my way to work) and I just can't remember at the moment. I'll answer when I cool off.

Comment

Relax.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I hate elderly drivers that much more after today. But thanks for the thought.

Comment

Well, seems that did'er. Thank you Asher. Firefox 1.5rc3 is opening just fine. Now to rebuild. Oh, and I found a backup file of my bookmarks up to last night, so at least something good survived.

Comment

/me takes a shower after having to use IE all this evening...

Comment

I'm glad it worked.

Just a reminder: if you use adblock, don't re-install it on Firefox 1.5 (and all people who have adblock should uninstall it). "adblock" is no longer maintained and has known crash bugs and rendering bugs with Firefox 1.5.

Use "adblock plus" instead, which is a newer version: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=774

Comment

Adblock seemed to acting weird for a while now. I wonder if that was the problem. Shame they aren't maintaining that extension anymore.

Comment

Re: How do I unequivocally uninstall Firefox from my computer?

I'd accellerate the tempo as I tapped the necessary keystrokes, wait two beats and then hit the enter key hard with a dramatic sweeping movement of my wrist.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

format c:

Comment

Fashionably late, you two?

Comment

format dis:
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

crtl-alt-spam

Comment

I had the same problem It took me over an hour with JVC Powertools to get rid of everything Firefox from my system

Maybe I should move on to Opera

Don't. Once you do you will fall in love and you will never look back at Firefox. Unless your name is Asher of course...
                              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                              And notifying the next of kin
                              Once again...

Comment

Working...
                              X