X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunmen kill Sunni tribal leader

By Yasser Faisal
    49 minutes ago

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Gunmen in Iraqi army uniforms shot dead a 70-year-old Sunni Arab tribal leader and three of his sons as they slept in their home, relatives said on Wednesday.

A Defense Ministry official denied Iraqi troops were involved in the slayings in the Hurriya district of Baghdad overnight and said the killers must have been terrorists in disguise.

"Iraqi army uniforms litter the streets and any terrorist can kill and tarnish our image, killing two birds with one stone," he said.

The attack is likely to fuel sectarian tensions which have raised fears of civil war.

It comes a week after the discovery of more than 170 malnourished Sunni prisoners locked in an Interior Ministry bunker. Some showed signs of starvation and torture.

In the latest attack, an Interior Ministry official said 40 men wearing army uniforms had come to the victims' house in the night. Relatives said they were shot in their sleep.

One victim was holding his daughter. "The gunmen told the girl to move then shot the father," said a relative.

The slain elderly man, Kathim Sirheed Ali, was the head of the Batta tribe, his family said.

Sunni leaders accuse the Shi'ite-dominated Interior Ministry of sanctioning death squads run by Shi'ite militias which attack Sunnis. The government denies it.

WEEPING WOMEN

"I saw it with my own eyes. They were soldiers," said Thair Kathim Sirheed of the men who killed his father and three brothers in the shooting attack.

Sirheed said he and two of his slain brothers had worked as policemen.

"I am going to get rid of my police badge. From now on I will be a terrorist," said Sirheed. Last month gunmen killed another brother and then stole his car and money, he said.

Wailing women in black veils stood over bullet-riddled bodies in the house as the young children of the slain brothers looked on. "Why? Why? Does the government accept this?" asked one of the women.

Such attacks are not unusual in
    Iraq, where Shi'ites and Kurds swept to power in January elections which sidelined the Sunnis who had been dominant under
    Saddam Hussein.

Iraqi officials and their U.S. allies are hoping elections for a full-term government next month will help unite the country and ease sectarian tensions.

But the big question is whether Iraq's political process will defuse a Sunni insurgency of suicide bombings and shootings which has killed tens of thousands of members of the Iraqi security forces and civilians.

(Reporting by Yasser Faisal, writing by Michael Georgy)

Bravery continues to be displayed by terrorists. Such big men. So tough.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

It's a given that terrorists are the scum of the world.

Look at Ronald Raegan and his involvement in Nicragua for example.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

So many Iraqi military and police uniforms have been stolen or sold that it is very difficult to tell who is the real cop and who is some militia member dressed up as a cop.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Classic example of why the rules of war are not obsolete, and as written still apply.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Gunmen kill Sunni tribal leader

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Bravery continues to be displayed by terrorists. Such big men. So tough.
          Surely then, the American soldiers must be showing their courage when they use airstrikes?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Iraq's getting better and better every day, I see.

Comment

Uh, maybe I'm wrong but weren't the Sunni's supposed to be the terrorists?

A Defense Ministry official denied Iraqi troops were involved in the slayings in the Hurriya district of Baghdad overnight and said the killers must have been terrorists in disguise.

So if I get this straight some Sunni's disguised themselves and posed as Shi'ites? Sure...
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                Uh, maybe I'm wrong but weren't the Sunni's supposed to be the terrorists?

So if I get this straight some Sunni's disguised themselves and posed as Shi'ites? Sure...
                The victims fault was that they were mebers of a Sunni clan that supported the elections wich is disliked in certain Sunni circles that has a tendency to violence. Guess that they don't mind if Shi'ites could be blamed.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                  Iraq's getting better and better every day, I see.
                  We've turned a corner!
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Would that be the corner of Dead End St. and Civil War Ave.?
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Hellfire Corner - or should that be White Phosphorous Alley...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                      X