Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the American "The Office" eclipsed the British "The Office"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    Compared to the original the jokes are fast paced and with different rhythm. You might not notice this if you are not experienced with comedy, especially outside the US. It's like tea and coffee, and also getting Finnish comedy, there's another drink all toegther, they all work differently with timing, pace and sometimes even structure.
    They may be, but saying it is 20 seconds per joke indicates that you don't know what you are talking about, because it is nothing of the sort. It's some jokes sprinkled throughout, but it all leads up to the superfunny ending where everything comes together.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

I've seen Fawlty Towers...

Well if you can't appreciate Fawlty Towers then there isn't much hope for you.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Well 'Blackadder' is really the ultimate test .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Dude, I've SEEN IT, OK? And yeah, it relies on the Americna formula more than not. Have you seen the UK version?

You know the point of it, right? If you turn to it accidentally, you might go a long time without noticing it's a comedy, but some real shots from a company. You turn to US version, you watch 2 seconds, you know it's a comedy! OK?

Also, the way they do it with characters, like the boss man, like his deputy.. they have added features to them to make them more obvious comedy situations and characters and not so subtle.

Just to name few examples.

Don't think hamburgers and pizza are the same, even if they are both good. DUDE!
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Have you seen the UK version?
            Yep... every episode.

If you turn to it accidentally, you might go a long time without noticing it's a comedy, but some real shots from a company.
            You are insane. The British version is quite obviously a comedy, even if you accidentally tune in, you'll notice that it is a comedy. For example, with the show "Extras", Rickey Gervais' new show, you can easily tell its a comedy if you just tune in accidentally. There are jokes within.

I'm not sure how in the world you think that you if you accidentally tune into the British version that its real shots from a company. Its quite obviously a comedy.

And though it is more 'American' in style, explain how it is a joke every 20 seconds? You've not answered this question, though I've asked it a few times now.

Comment

yes there are jokes, more subtle. YOu know this is also the point that the boss man in UK series praised in an interview. That if you turn in, you could watch it a good minute or two without realiuzing it's a comedy. So, he and I agree, you don't.

And IT IS quite obviously a comedy.

Dude, I didnt' mean literally joke every 20 seconds. YOu just don't get it. I'm not here to argue, you don't get it, then you just don't get it. It's OK, it's not like it's a bad thing or insult or anything.

But if I have to explain to you, break it down to you, how British comedy is different from American, then you know, it'll be a waste of time. If you don't get it, you don't. If you can't see all the little subtle things in it, then you don't get it. To put it in short, you don't get it.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

That's the problem, this whole idea that British comedy is different from American comedy because the idea that British comedy is more 'subtle' and American comedy is 'hit you over the head'. In some cases this is undoubtably true, but then I see "Monty Python's Flying Circus", "Faulty Towers", "Father Ted", etc, and realize that this idea that the humor is subtle isn't always the case. And likewise there are American comedies which have subtle humor ("Arrested Development").

While I can understand British comedy tends to be a bit dryer and based on wordplay, to insult American comedy (as you undoubtably did in your first post) for being a 'joke every 20 seconds' means you just don't know American comedies aside from a few (probably "Friends"). The American "The Office" does not fit into that stereotype in the slightest.

Remember one of the executive producers of the American version is Rickey Gervais.

Comment

They're both very good in their own ways.

What the British version has on the American one is the "Free love on the free love freeway" song, which is a true classic.

Some guys were singing it in the steam room the other week at the gym (don't ask).
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Imran, insulting American comedy? Get over yourself. I wasn't insulting US comedy. Stop being so sensitive.

You also do know that the original UK episodes were longer? That's right. And it was more subtle. By jokes I don't mean punch lines. I mean the whole acting, everything there is to it.

I said it's like coffee and tea, hamburgers and pizza. Meaning they are different, but both are good in their own ways. I also said that US series is OK. And that's good because it's difficult to capture original series, it's a difficult job so oothey did OK in it.

Stop being so sensitive.
                    In da butt.

Comment

I think what Pekka is referring to is the British "The Office" is a bit more dry with sparser comedy, and hence it was not immediately obvious that it was a comedy.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

and it has different pace and rhtythm of delivering. The timing is different too, acting is different.
                        In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Imran, insulting American comedy? Get over yourself. I wasn't insulting US comedy. Stop being so sensitive.
                          Hmm... saying that a show has a joke every 20 seconds or else Americans will get bored isn't insulting American comedy?

Or should I go more your route and just call you a racist now?

[q=Asher]the British "The Office" is a bit more dry with sparser comedy[/q]

No doubt, but the American "The Office" isn't, say, "Friends" in trying to cram in a joke every minute or so. There are definetly streaches in the American "The Office" where you'll be watching the buildup or a plan that will end in a joke.

Comment

Sava, from now on I'll never take you seriously anymore. Watery Fowl was boring??

And what is it with Americans that they always want to rehash British comedies? They were seriously planning to remake Ab Fab

For Sava: Ab Fab is another Brit comedy you probably find boring.
                            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                            And notifying the next of kin
                            Once again...

Comment

And what is it with Americans that they always want to rehash British comedies?

Ask Gervais, he's the exec producer on this one .

And tell me that "Coupling" isn't a British version of "Friends".

Comment

"Hmm... saying that a show has a joke every 20 seconds or else Americans will get bored isn't insulting American comedy?"

No, besides it's true too. And it's still not an insult. It's the American style. Sure there are more styles too.

And no I'm not talking about Friends or other **** sitcoms, that literally are joke in ever 20 seconds.

Aarrgh, this is like teaching Cheney to breakdance like a pro. You know.. don't get it twisted, you can still walk in the streets of Europe liking football and all but.. what ever, didn't come here to argue or teach kids to make babies.

ta-ta.
                                In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                                X