major toxic leak near Harbin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• major toxic leak near Harbin

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Toxic leak threat to Chinese city
    Chinese authorities have revealed that major pollution of a river has forced the suspension of water supplies to Harbin, a northern city of 3.4m people.

"Benzene levels were 108 times above national safety levels," said China's Environment Protection Administration.

The contamination after an accident at a chemical plant is expected to pass through Harbin on the Songhua river for the next two days, officials said.

Some schools and businesses have closed and flights out of Harbin are sold out.

"Everyone wants to leave Harbin and it is very difficult to buy tickets," a factory manager told Reuters.

Benzene is a highly poisonous toxin that is also carcinogenic.

Fifteen hospitals have been placed on stand-by to cope with possible poisoning victims.

Officials are also on alert in Russian towns further down the river.

More than 16,000 tons of drinking water is being brought into Harbin by road, the Chinese state news agency Xinhua said - though this is less than Harbin's residents habitually use in a day.

The government initially said the stoppage would last four days, but a water company official has told the BBC there is no set timetable for the resumption of supplies.

BBC Beijing correspondent Louisa Lim says residents of Harbin are mistrustful of government statements, having originally been told the stoppage was for routine maintenance.

Hoarding supplies

The initial announcement of water stoppages led to panic buying of water and food, exhausting supermarket supplies and sending prices soaring.

"The city was full of ridiculously large queues. People were buying water in massive quantities," English teacher Craig Hutchinson told the BBC News website.

Other residents told the BBC they felt more inconvenienced than worried.

"I can say that we feel safe and fine. Even though people... may not be able to shower, at least they can drink and cook with good [bottled] water," said hostel manager Yang Yan.

The order to cut off the water comes after a 13 November explosion at a petrochemical plant in Jilin city, about 380km (230 miles) up the Songhua river from Harbin.

Five people were reported to have been killed in the blast, and more than 60 injured.

The explosion forced the temporary evacuation of some 10,000 residents, but people have since been allowed to return home.

The Beijing News showed pictures of dead fish washed up on the banks of the Songhua river near Jilin city, but the authorities said there was no sign that chemicals in the river had contaminated the water supply.

The high levels of benzene were found upstream of Harbin, but the contaminated river water was expected to reach the city on Wednesday evening and take two days to pass through.

Officials insisted enough water would be brought in to meet the needs of residents.

Environmental officials in Russia said they were also monitoring the Amur river, which is fed by the Songhua and is the main water source for the city of Khabarovsk.

Harbin is in China's north-east Heilongjiang province, and is one of the country's coldest cities, with overnight temperatures this week falling to -12C.

eep, that's a lot of benzene

I just wonder how big a FUBAR led to this
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

clean water is overrated
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

There is no disaster in China. There is no poverty in China. There is no AIDS in China. There is no SARS in China. There are no gay people in China.
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Az
          I just wonder how big a FUBAR led to this
          It's easy to let safety controls slip when you have such widespread corruption.

Comment

that must be one stinky city.

Comment

Can something major (like this) help convince the Chinese to more carefully follow environmental protections?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

A little benzene never hurt anyone.

[/corrupt official]

Nasty ****. I work in the enviromental clean up field and deal with this sort of stuff all the time. Very expensive to properly clean.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I another week or two, Russia will get to join in the clean up fun.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

That's nasty. Are there other major cities downstream?
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Like this doesn't happ...oh, forget it!
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Are there other major cities downstream?
                        Other cities on the Songhua River are also shutting down their water systems, but Harbin is the biggest.

The chemical company which had the explosion and spill denied having anything to do with it, of course. And when the Harbin city gov't first anounced the shut-down, they told the city's residents that the water system was being immediately shut down for "maintenance" for four days, and specifically denied that it was related to the explosion at the chemical works. This is the kind of typical cr@p that makes me worry whether the PRC gov't learned anything at all from SARS other than "try harder to cover it up next time".

Finally, when the proof became too much to deny, and it was obvious that news of the event could not be contained, the parent company - China's largest petrochemical manufacturer - confessed and apologized, immediately offering sixty trucks to help haul water, as well as a team of well-drillers ("faster boys, you've got four days to reach the water table!").

Harbin, in Heilongjiang province, has long been complaining about factories upriver in Jilin province (where the spill occurred) openly dumping toxic waste into the Songhua River, the source of Harbin's drinking water. But Jilin officials basically ignored the complaints. Nothing unusual there, almost all of China's water sources are treated this way. When a little money can be saved by dumping harsh pollutants into municipal drinking water, many (most?) Chinese managers will make the same decision: dump away! (but of course, pay off local inspectors to avoid trouble).

As I've said before, China's rampaging environmental destruction poses a much greater and immediate threat to the world than any build-up or ambitions of the PRC's military.

This is what really worries me: the cause of the Jilin chemical plant explosion was "human error". China is planning to build more nuclear power plants. How far is it from denying the existence of a 50-mile benzene slick smothering a river to denying the existence of a radioactive cloud passing over a major city?

DaShi, let's make an agreement that if either of us ever sees convoys of black Audis and BMWs with "A" plates streaming out of our city, we will immediately alert each other.
                        Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

One of the few bright sides to this: environmentalism is one of the few areas where you can find Chinese citizens organizing for political action. Some of these groups have actually stopped major construction projects - quite an achievement. The Harbin benzene spill will presumably add to the momentum.

There are growing numbers of environmentalist ngo's sprouting up, sometimes with some degree of encouragement from the central gov't and press. China has some of the best environmental laws in the world, but it's the old story of the CCP in Beijing lacking the ability to put it's laws into force outside of the capital city.

Anyway, some "China watchers" see the increasing citizen environmental activism as the possible precursor to demands for greater gov't transparency in general. That these groups exist at all, and that they occasionally prevail over the gov't or large companies is a very encouraging sign.
                          Last edited by mindseye; November 25, 2005, 21:45.

Comment

(dp)

Comment

Great New York Times photo:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X