Bush: "I tried to escape, obviously it didn't work."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush: "I tried to escape, obviously it didn't work."

BEIJING (Reuters) - Irked by a reporter who told him he seemed to be "off his game" at a Beijing public appearance, President George W. Bush sought to make a hasty exit from a news conference but was thwarted by locked doors.

At the end of a day of meetings with Chinese President Hu Jintao and other Chinese officials, Bush held a session with a small group of U.S. reporters and spoke at length about issues like religious freedom, Iraq and the Chinese currency.

The final reporter he called on critiqued Bush's performance earlier in the day when he stood next to Hu in the Great Hall of the People on Tiananmen Square to deliver a statement.

"Respectfully, sir -- you know we're always respectful -- in your statement this morning with President Hu, you seemed a little off your game, you seemed to hurry through your statement. There was a lack of enthusiasm. Was something bothering you?" he asked.

"Have you ever heard of jet lag?" Bush responded. "Well, good. That answers your question."

The president then recited a list of things of that he viewed as positive developments from his Beijing meetings, including cooperation on North Korean nuclear disarmament and the ability to have "frank discussions" with his Chinese counterpart.

When the reporter asked for "a very quick follow-up," Bush cut him off by thanking the press corps and telling the reporter "No you may not," as he strode toward a set of double doors leading out of the room.

The only problem was that they were locked.

"I was trying to escape. Obviously, it didn't work," Bush quipped, facing reporters again until an aide rescued him by pointing to him toward the correct door.
    The photos make Chimpy look like an idiot. I swear he's drinking again. I can't beleive this buffoon is my nation's leader.

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

We all know it was a Chinese trap...
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Next he'll be buying himself a second head...

Comment

Gotta include the image

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This just goes to show you that Bush doesn't have an exit strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                This just goes to show you that Bush doesn't have an exit strategy.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Gotta include the image

Yep, he's drunk, he's definitely drunk.

Comment

FUNNIEST PICTURE EVER
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

What's great -- aside from everything else -- is that, because it's an oversized door, Bush looks like he's about 3 feet tall.
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The "real" door was right behind him...and open
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Foiled!
                            Attached Files
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Reminds me of the Midvale School for the Gifted Farside comic.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X