now that was screwed up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now that was screwed up!

Just finished watching 'Gangs in Rio' by some English guy, where he went to Rio De Janeiro and into the favellas (ghettos), because well, they are known to be dangerous.

As usual, it turned out to be exactly that. Then some criminology chick said, that cops had killed over 1000 in Rio alone in one year. Then there's rival gangs, and also cops being killed. Wow!

All the favellas had their own fractions, cliques, that protected their own area with automatic weapons, and motorola walkie talkies. If they see a cop, they will open fire. And cops will do the same. Cops had choppers, and the cops themselves said they open fire from them too, adn sometimes by standers get caught too, because oh well..

Crazy stuff. Then, even though the gangs are bad of course, it turned out the cops aren't much better. They gangs claimed that the cops not only kill them on sight, ambush them and shoot rather than arrest, they also kidnap them and hold them for ransom. Then the head of the force was interviewed and he said basically yeah it happens. Now that's messed up!

And what did it say, that the people in gangs, 80% of them will die before the age of 20. And, it's pretty tough to say who is in the gang and who is not. And it seemed to me, that even though the gangs were about drug dealing and all that, if you are born in to certain place, I mean.. you could be shot, kidnapped by the police, shot by the police, what ever, so you know why NOT join the gang so at least you have some folks and gun for yourself, so you have at least something to defend yourself...

crazy places in Rio..

I mean sure, we've seen the LA scene but man this was something else, this was a freaking real war. Crazy.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I mean the ones who have had the fortunate opportunity to see City of God, and thinks, wow that's some hardcore stuff, and what's shocking is their age, and the 'no problem' attitude of shootign just about anyone on any given time. Like 12 year olds toting automatic weapons, shooting 10 year olds. Well.. it seems the movie was pretty accurate. Except that there are lots more favellas than in that movie and it was only one story. Just unreal.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

What's the name of this movie?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

City of God is the movie but the one I watched, documentary, was Gangs in Rio. I don't know if you should bother though, it wasn't a 'real' documentary, rather an episode for sky one channel in England. It was good but not like you know.. it was just an episode of series of what this dude does. But it was very informative.
        In da butt.

Comment

Yeah, I watched City of God a couple of years ago so that's why I"m interested in this one.

I thought it was an actual documentary, didn't realize it was a tv episode.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

no no.. I put it badly. Series of documentaries. It was a documentary. But only one in the series, made for tv channel in England. Documentary, yes, yes.

The crazy aspect of it, I mean we are quite used to the ideas in mental level that there are bad things happening, killings, gangs, but this one still was quite unreal. The age of these people is just .. so young. And the seriousness of the situation is very high. Like they said, they open fire immidiately if they see cops. In the streets. They had lookouts, posts with m-16s waiting ready, to open fire. The cops said it sucks because the favellas are uphill, so they always have to go up and thus they are easily ambushed and usually cops get killed too. So they go there with intentions to shoot to kill, not to play around.

Also there's the quite shocking clip that has circulated the internet for a long time, where the cops just drag the one kid they get to the other side of the van, and just pop three times. In the middle of the day, in the middle of the streets, right there, execution, in front of cameras! That was just crazy... I mean it just gives you a short glimpse of what it is. Crazy..
            In da butt.

Comment

The situation is certainly nuts.

I'm surprised they haven't sent in the Army to enforce Martial Law.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend it now... the cops are big part of the problem too and sometimes just a gang with better equipment in there, it seems like.
                In da butt.

Comment

Nuke it
                  be free

Comment

Working...
                  X