No announcement yet.

I Hate England, The Angry Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not the reason as I just found out.

The Isle of Man and the channel islands are "crown dependencies", means they're neither a part of the UK nor of the Commonwealth, they just belong to the crown.

The dozens of other islands are usually parts of England, scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland administrativelys I'd think (Outer Hebrides etc.)

Comment

Interesting piece of trivia. Now that I know it, I hope they ask me in a quiz one day.

Comment

Just read the whole article.

My favorite part:

I sat in the terraces at Chelsea and heard the crowd make a hissing noise as the two teams ran onto the pitch. They were playing Spurs. “Yid,” my neighbour said helpfully. Yes? “Well, they’re north London, Jewish and, well, it’s the noise of the gas going into the ovens, isn’t it.”

It was so shocking, so astonishingly surreally nothing to do with football that I laughed and my neighbour smirked. And wagged a finger, “Got you.” And that’s what the English like about a well-aimed joke; they like to make you laugh despite yourself; to make you complicit in something disgraceful. That’s the joy, to have your laughter make some toff pillock, some liberal shirtlifter, a hypocrite.
        I wish i knew the English as well as the writer does so i could hate them that much too. As it is i only know English Canadians and they're hardly worth hating.
        Last edited by Richelieu; November 22, 2005, 08:30.
        What?

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

now the UK IS an Island.

Really ?

Which one, Anglesey or the Isle of Wight ?

Note- I'm not including Northern Ireland, which is part of another island, nor the islands which are in association with the Crown, such as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Nor am I including the Shetlands, the Inner and Outer Hebrides, the Orkneys, Lindisfarne, Lundy...
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Good point Molly. Well made. Again.

Incidentally, according to that Coast programme that was on a few months ago, there are 6289 islands in the "British Isles".
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Really ?

Which one, Anglesey or the Isle of Wight ?

Note- I'm not including Northern Ireland, which is part of another island, nor the islands which are in association with the Crown, such as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Nor am I including the Shetlands, the Inner and Outer Hebrides, the Orkneys, Lindisfarne, Lundy...

Originally posted by child of Thor

True! Still mentaly/physcologicaly speaking 'we' are an Island
              I was just remarking on the annoying and very common title of the article this thread is about. Calling the UK an Island would be better than saying England(meaning the uk, but thinking wrongly that the UK is england etc etc)

Anyway as my later post shows i was talking more about the physcology of being an Island, rather than the geography. As my continetal friends tell me all the time - british people (English/Scots/Welsh/Irish/Cornish/Manx/Shetland Islanders et all) have an Islander mentality, especialy in regaurds to europe. And we do!

Still do they really want morris dancers dancing all over their sacred sights, even in a show of brotherly love?
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
              X