Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate England, The Angry Island

Actually, I don't, but this guy seems to, so much he wrote a book about it:

The thing that seems impermeably English is, in fact, anger. Collectively and individually, the English are angry about something. The pursed lip and the muttered expletives, the furious glance and the beetled brow are England’s national costume.

A simmering, unfocused lurking anger is the collective cross England bears with ill grace. I can see it in English faces, in the dumb semaphore of their bodies. It’s how they stand and fold their arms and wait in queues. It’s why they can’t dance or relax.

Anger has made the English an ugly race. But then this anger is also the source of England’s most admirable achievement — their heroic self-control. It’s the daily struggle of not giving in to their natural inclination to run amok with a cricket bat, to spit and bite in a crowded tearoom, that I admire most in the English. It’s not what they are, but their ability to suppress what they are, that’s great about the English.

Any truth to the description?

No.

England isn't an island.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Who have you got in England, anyway?

Celts. They're all drunken headcases.

Saxons- Drunken headcases.

Danes- Drunken headcases.

Normans- Fascists and Tories.

Then you get the West Country and East Anglia, which are entirely populated by titanically inbred throwbacks to Neolithic times, who were drunken headcases.

Then you've got the ethnic minorities. Including the Sikhs, who are drunken headcases.

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

England is indeed not an island, my mistake. Since this guy wrote a book named "The Angry Island", he probably has things to say about the Welsh and the Scots too.

Comment

quite accurate I'm often thinking of battering somebody to death, even for just knowing how it feels to do so
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              England is indeed not an island, my mistake. Since this guy wrote a book named "The Angry Island", he probably has things to say about the Welsh and the Scots too.

It's A A Gill. He is that most bitter of creatures- a heterosexual Scotsman who is constantly assumed to be a gay Englishman.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                I've started repeating myself as I get older.

Comment

English comedy is war by other means and it still is the actual last war. The rest of Europe looks on with growing exasperation and incomprehension at the English’s ability endlessly to bait the Germans for losing the war and consistently tease the French for losing it as well.

Europeans can’t understand the English inability to move on, to get over it. But that’s the point. Their reaction, their visible irritation at being called “a Hun” 60 years later is what the joke’s for. It’s supposed to provoke that reaction and this is the fundamental difference between the English sense of humour and that of almost everyone else. Most people share a joke, the English aim them.
                  That is, of course, very true. A joke's just not funny unless it's vicious.

Comment

I do know that the English are loud and obnoxious . I'm not sure about angry.

We met this one guy (actually he was scottish) at a bar in reno. He kept on singing football songs or something. we could only understand about 1 out of every 3 words he said.

He drank alot, then ate some fish and chips and then left without paying. And he took some money we had sitting on the table.

Comment

That post is unintentionally funny for so many reasons.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                        Who have you got in England, anyway?

Celts. They're all drunken headcases.

Saxons- Drunken headcases.

Danes- Drunken headcases.

Then you get the West Country and East Anglia, which are entirely populated by titanically inbred throwbacks to Neolithic times, who were drunken headcases.

Then you've got the ethnic minorities. Including the Sikhs, who are drunken headcases.

Comment

People seemed very nice when I was in England though they couldn't dance worth a damn. We even got several people buying us drinks and showing us around (we of course recipricated with the drinks). Same thing happened in Germany.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm English and also one hell of a dancer!!

Comment

me too!
                              No, really.

Comment

Working...
                              X