Global Cooling and Hurricane Activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Cooling and Hurricane Activity

I was just watching a documentary on the eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia on April 10, 1815 and the summer of 1816 - the year without summer.

Climatologists are using records from European ships to chart the disruption of world climate by the eruption and the data corroborate the conclusions of paleo-climatologists studying the ice age.

Tambora reduced mean global temperatures by
    2 degrees F and in some places - NE USA and Eastern Canada, the British Isles, Switzerland (Mary Shelley was writing Frankenstein), etc, up to 10 degrees F. In America Thomas Jefferson recorded daily temperatures as summer frosts and cold bitter rains destroyed crops in the hardest hit areas of the world.

But what caught my attention was the shipping records of the Atlantic hurricane season. Hurricane activity increased as temperatures decreased. Paleo-climatologists believe the intensity of storms increased during the last ice advance, storms far worse than those occuring during the subsequent inter-glacial - the past ~12,000 years.

Why? Whats going on? This seems counter-intuitive with the recent claims linking increased hurricane activity and global warming.

One possible explanation... During the ice age sea levels dropped by 400-500 feet. This would seem to reduce the available fuel for hurricanes, less water, more land, and of course, lower temperatures. But the lower sea levels also disrupted ocean currents reducing the Earth's ability to distribute heat away from equatorial regions to the poles. And as ice sheets expanded, solar radiation was reflected away from the surface. Could this have heated the upper levels of the atmosphere? Did the jet stream warm as surface temperatures dropped thereby providing an alternate source of fuel for storms, an even better source?

Tambora clearly reduced surface temperatures, but what effect did it have on the upper atmosphere and jet stream? The eruption blocked sunlight from reaching the surface but what effect did it have higher up? Did it trap solar radiation thereby creating a sort of heat inversion? Why did Tambora result in a worse Atlantic hurricane season?

Something no one will seem to listen to me on is the effects the tsunami may have had on weather when it shifted the earth on it's axis.
    That needs to be studied.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

it didn't shift the earth's axis. The earth only vibrated a little.

Comment

That's not what was reported. If it only shook it, that would seem enough, though.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Heck, the tsunami probably screwed with weather patterns regardless of any direct effect on the earth's rotation.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I heard it was the quake that caused a very slight wobble, but it would make sense that the wave had an effect. You can't move that much water without something else happening. Of course the moon moves alot more water but that is cyclical and relatively slow.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Something no one will seem to listen to me on is the effects the tsunami may have had on weather when it shifted the earth on it's axis.
              That needs to be studied.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                  I heard it was the quake that caused a very slight wobble, but it would make sense that the wave had an effect. You can't move that much water without something else happening. Of course the moon moves alot more water but that is cyclical and relatively slow.
                  The quake was right on the equator, so I doubt it would affect the axis to any significant degree.
                  "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

That page gave me a headache.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

KrazyHorse, get your science out of our Internet!
                        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

That page gave me a headache.
                          It's high-school physics.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The quake was right on the equator, so I doubt it would affect the axis to any significant degree.
                              I didn't say it effected the axis

Comment

Working...
                              X