Technical help requested -- Program designed for Win95 doesn't work on XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical help requested -- Program designed for Win95 doesn't work on XP

EDIT: No need for help anymore, it's fixed.

Program I just installed from a CD I found lying around in my apartment, made in 1997. System requirements:
    IBM®-compatible PC, with a HD, 4MB RAM, 80386 micro-processor, mouse, EGA VGA or SVGA-screen, CD-ROM device, MS-DOS-version 3.30 or newer and a Microsoft Windows version 3.1 or newer.

When using Windows' versions older than 95, one must also have installed the "Video for Windows Run Time", provided with the CD.
    I installed the program on my old Win95 machine ca '99, and back then it worked perfectly.

I can log in and get to the main menu of the program, but whenever I try to run any of it's sub-programs (read: the actual content I could use), I get an "Illegal function call" pop-up error and the program shuts down.

I'm running it from a WinXP SP2, 512MB RAM, AMD Sempron 2Ghz PC with a DVD-ROM device.

Any ideas what might be causing this particular error?
    Last edited by RGBVideo; November 19, 2005, 19:46.

This might help.

Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Nope, it won't work at all if I try to run it from DOSBox -- the program requires Microsoft Windows.

Comment

Right-click on the program's shortcut.

Select Properties, then select the Compatibility tab.

Check the box labeled "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and then use Windows 95 (should be the default). Click the Apply button.

If that doesn't work, try some of the other compatibilty settings.

If all else fails, look here:

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Turned out the program wasn't fully 32bit compatible. Thanks a lot Petek, getting that program to work is going to save me from a lot of work next week

Comment

Working...
          X