Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TVO? TEVO? I'm not sure and I hope someone can tell me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TVO? TEVO? I'm not sure and I hope someone can tell me.

I am embarrassed to have to ask but lately it seems whereever I turn I hear someone talking about a "TVO" or "Tevo" (maybe even Teevo). I have no idea what this is, but I understand it has something to do with Television (maybe even a new kind of Television).

Whatever it is, I knew that those at Apolyton would not only know, but would be willing to laugh at my expense while filling me in on what it is

/me
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

TiVo

Comment

would be willing to laugh at my expense while filling me in on what it is

Can do!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Hey Sparrow, there are also these fangled things called celo phones.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Avoid TiVo like the plague.

MythTV/Freevo, or heck even ReplayTV are better.
          B♭3

Comment

TiVo records programs onto a hard drive. While you are watching "Lost", and your bowels start to rumble because of all those nachos, you can pause the show and resume it as if nothing had happened. When the commercial comes on, then you fast forward to catch up to the real time broadcast.

Or you could just record the damn show, watch it three days later, and skip the advertisements that way.

My father records all multi-part episodes (like made-for-TV-movies like that "10.5" program a few months back) and watches them back to back because he hates to wait a week between the beginning of a story and the conclusion.

I don't have one. Don't watch enough TV to need one. I can psychologically handle missing 56 seconds of a football game to go take a whiz, if necessary. Some people don't have that fortitude.

Comment

You missed the major use of a TiVo, which it to be able to watch a show not at the time its shown (not just to skip ads).

Comment

There's that too, except for the small problem that, frankly, the quality of TiVo recordings sucks.

What's worse is that they clock in at over 1GB each, whereas bittorrenting many of these shows at can get you file sizes of 300MB, all with better quality.
                B♭3

Comment

There's that too, except for the small problem that, frankly, the quality of TiVo recordings sucks.

I've never noticed much of a difference. OTOH, I don't watch TV much anyway.

What's worse is that they clock in at over 1GB each, whereas bittorrenting many of these shows at can get you file sizes of 300MB, all with better quality.

Since it's not hooked up to my computer, the file size is invisible to me and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    You missed the major use of a TiVo, which it to be able to watch a show not at the time its shown (not just to skip ads).
                    Obviously you follow the "read the first two sentences of a post to understand its full meaning" philosophy.

Else you would've noticed line three:

Or you could just record the damn show, watch it three days later, and skip the advertisements that way.

Comment

Don't bother with TiVo.

Go digicable or satellite and get a dual-tuner HDTV PVR.

It's like TiVo, only with two high definition TV tuners.

I have the Motorola DCT6412. It comes with a 160GB drive built in, but it also has an ethernet port to record things on a network (such as your PC), a firewire and a USB 2.0 port to record to external USB/Firewire drives or another computer, and a SATA port to record to an external SATA drive.

It has all of the useful TiVo features like electronic guides and Season Pass (record all new episodes of a show), etc.

If you have a decent cable/satellite provider you also get access to PPV (good for sports) and Video on Demand (goodbye video store).
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                        Obviously you follow the "read the first two sentences of a post to understand its full meaning" philosophy.

Else you would've noticed line three:

Or you could've noticed my parenthetical, which pointed out that watching at a different time was a benefit in and of itself, not merely a way to skip ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Don't bother with TiVo.

Go digicable or satellite and get a dual-tuner HDTV PVR.

It's like TiVo, only with two high definition TV tuners.

I have the Motorola DCT6412. It comes with a 160GB drive built in, but it also has an ethernet port to record things on a network (such as your PC), a firewire and a USB 2.0 port to record to external USB/Firewire drives or another computer, and a SATA port to record to an external SATA drive.

It has all of the useful TiVo features like electronic guides and Season Pass (record all new episodes of a show), etc.

If you have a decent cable/satellite provider you also get access to PPV (good for sports) and Video on Demand (goodbye video store).
                          QFT. I have Dish Network, and 2 DishPlayer receivers with hard drives so I can pause, record, etc. I have had programs on there for a looong time. I still have a 5 minute clip from the Boomerang network before they put on their programming, it was a loop of footage of classic cartoon toys set to this funky circuslike music. It was mesmerizing, so I recorded some of it. I still put it on from time to time because it's so damn cool.

Eventually I'll open the receiver, remove the drive and transfer the mpeg to my PC.

Comment

Working...
                          X