Got a question about my laptop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a question about my laptop.

With my Dell 9300 Inspiron, under Program Manager, there is a tab called Applications.

When I go about disabling these applications, it warns me that I could lose vital data or something along that line, so I decided against disabling them. What applications can I disable without compromising the functioning of my laptop?

thank you
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

What applications are there?
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
      What applications are there?

I will have to go back to my laptop and check -- I use a roommate's computer for Internet use and for printing documents.

Not sure when I will have my full report though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        I will have to go back to my laptop and check
        Before you posted the question might have been an idea.......

Comment

I made a mistake -- I know, I know -- first time in my life that I ever made a mistake.

They're not applications -- they are under the tab called Processes with various .exe files. Can I safely disable any of them? I have no Applications running in the background as far as the Program Manager shows.

Comment

Just google for the filenames and find out what the searches turn up. That's what I did when I suspected I had a virus, and it worked a treat.
            I didn't have a virus after all, but managed to lob out loads of rubbish.

Comment

Pour hot coffee on your keyboard. That should help.

Comment

it didn't for me

my keys started breaking after a couple months

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                  Pour hot coffee on your keyboard. That should help.
                  Actually, I thought I would pour a pot of hot herbal tea on my keyboard -- might help increase my computer's alertness and enhance its senses.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                    Just google for the filenames and find out what the searches turn up. That's what I did when I suspected I had a virus, and it worked a treat.
                    I didn't have a virus after all, but managed to lob out loads of rubbish.
                    It's not that I suspect there is a virus -- I'm just wondering if any .exe files that are constantly running are not necessary, and thus, I could free up a small portion of my computer's memory.

Comment

Well google for everything unknown and get rid of those that are unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                        Well google for everything unknown and get rid of those that are unnecessary.

Ok seriously -- let's have some real help instead of the bullsh*t like Googling names of .exe files and pouring coffee on my keyboard.

Comment

Do your own homework, MrFun.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

well just my experience on my laptop thats not a dell but if you can disable it, there is a box that can enable it again isnt there?
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

If you run msconfig there are a bunch of tabs. One of them is called "processes" IIRC. A bunch of things that will be run in the background are listed, each with a checkbox to the left. This is how you control them.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X