Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

26th Top 500 Supercomputer List revealed (Nov 2005)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26th Top 500 Supercomputer List revealed (Nov 2005)

* The list shows again a major shake-up of the TOP10
    * Only six of the TOP10 systems from November 2004 are still large enough to hold on to a TOP10 position, four new systems entered the top tier.
    * The new and previous No. 1 is DOE's IBM BlueGene/L system, installed at DOE’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). It has doubled in size (again) and has now achieved a record Linpack performance of 280.6 TFlop/s. It is still the only system ever to exceed the 100 TFlop/s mark.
    * The No. 2 is a similar but smaller IBM eServer Blue Gene Solution system, installed at IBM’s Thomas Watson Research Center with 91.20 TFlop/s Linpack performance.
    * The new No. 3 is the ASCI Purple system at LLNL, also built by IBM , but based on the pSeries 575 servers. It reached 63.4 TFlop/s.
    * The Columbia system at NASA/Ames built by SGI slipped to the No. 4 spot, with a still equally impressive 51.87 TFlop/s.
    * Two systems at DOE’s Sandia National Laboratories occupy Nos. 5 and 6. A new PowerEdge-based Dell system outperformed the enlarged ASCI Red Storm system by a narrow margin with 36.10 Tflops/s versus 35.86 Tflop/s.
    * The Earth Simulator, built by NEC, which held the No. 1 spot for five lists, has now slipped to No. 7.
    * The No. 10 spot is occupied by a Cray XT3 system at DOE’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory with 20.53 Tflop/s. This is also the new entry level for the TOP10, up from just under 10 TFlop/s Linpack performance one year ago.

The list: http://www.top500.org/lists/2005/11/basic
    #1 is BlueGene/L (131,072 processors; 280 TFLOPS) - DOE/LLNL
    #2 is BlueGene Solution (40,960 processors; 91.2 TFLOPS) - IBM (private)
    #3 is ASC Purple (10,240 processors; 63.3 TFLOPS) - DOE/LLNL

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The trends are what are most amazing.

2004:

2005:
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

And what's happening to Europe? Can't keep up!

The ultimate in meaningless jingoistic geek cred.
      Attached Files
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We have less of an obsessive need to engage in penis contests.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It's more than penis contests, it's about research.

Comment

First you lose the penis contest. Then you lose the supercomputer contest.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Unless there has been a through multinational study proving the opposite, I assume we make more efficient use of our supercomputers. And Arianne V is still the most aesthetically pleasing rocket out there.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It's like the Swimsuit Edition for Asher
                Monkey!!!

Comment

What is sum?
                  sum of the top 500?
                  It seems ive been Dansed.
                  Or more precisely, your pictures are semi-random so I can't get the graph I was mentionning to appear again, which was by far the most interesting...
                  Anyway the one I was referring too is the
                  Performance Development as of November 2005

Projected Performance Development

seems the 3 functions are almost pure exponentials (with the top having a bit more variance with a higher base also it seems)

Some quick mental calculation give a doubling time of about a year?
                  (1000x increase over 10 years...)
                  Last edited by Lul Thyme; November 14, 2005, 16:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                    And Arianne V is still the most aesthetically pleasing rocket out there.
                    Why? Cos its always blowing up spectacularly?
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Total accumulated performance has grown to 2.30 PFlop/s, compared to 1.69 PFlop/s six months ago and 1.127 PFlop/s one year ago.

Comment

Seems to match the doubling every year pattern almost perfectly...

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Why? Cos its always blowing up spectacularly?
                          No, because it's nicely shaped, with the dimensions in the right proportions and a whole bunch of cool flags painted on it.

Comment

To be fair, it only blows up spectacularly about 20% of the time.

Comment

In all seriousness, what's that "Not Specified" about?
                              Last edited by Colonâ„¢; November 14, 2005, 16:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X