Excel Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel Help

I have a list of stuff in columns A, B and C. Lets pretend these are first name, last name and test score. What I want to do is display below this list the highest score as well as the person's name next to it.

Easy part first: finding the highest value.
    =MAX(C2:C4)

The problem I'm having is getting A to display the information in cellA where cell C is the highest and ditto for B. Can it be done and how do I do this?
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Sounds like a simple data sort. Highlight all the data, then sort by column C. Or am I missing something?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

This is similar to what I want it to do.
      Attached Files
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I don't want to sort the data at all (they have to be in a certain order not based on C) but just display the highest value down the bottom and the information that goes along with this highest value.

Comment

What Rufus said.

If you REAALLY need to use a formula, you could do a MATCH + INDEX combo, but it would be useless.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Oh, I see. No idea, then. Sorry.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

=INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(MAX(range),range), namecol))

Where range is the scores, and namecol is, well, the columns with names.
              Last edited by Kuciwalker; November 13, 2005, 20:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                I don't want to sort the data at all (they have to be in a certain order not based on C) but just display the highest value down the bottom and the information that goes along with this highest value.
                a) use a filter
                b) use INDEX + MATCH

basically it should look like this (but you should check the exact syntax in the help): INDEX(lookup_range,row_num,column_number)

Lookup range can be either a fixed argument, or a variable one using the OFFSET function.

ROW_NUM will be found by MATCH(MAX(C2:C4),lookup_range)
                column_number will most likely be a constant of your choice, or it could be the COLUMN() function.

Comment

Kuci's suggestion works, but it takes longer to calculate

Comment

Ah, yes, index is a much less half-assed way than indirect(address())

Though I doubt calculation time would be significant for anything he's using it for.

Comment

Cheers Kuci, thats done the trick.

EDIT: And OBoris.

Comment

Working...
                      X