Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should election day (in the U.S.) be changed to saturdays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should election day (in the U.S.) be changed to saturdays?

Yes I was reading an article about this in the newspaper. Apparantly, (according to the newspaper) It's not in the constitution that election day be the first tuesday after the first monday in November. I admit, I thought it was in there as well.

I'm appalled at how low in the list of nations that have voting the U.S. falls in terms of voter turnout. Pathetic.

It can be tough where I live because most of our voting is in schools. And tuesday is a school day. And most people work on tuesdays. Therefore they will be jam packed during early morning and afternoons/evenings. Long lines etc.

In any case, the tuesday thing is a relic of an old agricultural society combined with long travel times for rural living people to get to the cities and towns etc. This is no longer the case.

Though this isn't a problem where I live. Since we have early voting.

Just wondering your thoughts on this.
    Yes: to Saturday
    42.86%
    Yes: to some other day (please specify)
    14.29%
    No: keep things as they are
    38.10%
    elections should be abolished
    4.76%

The low voter turnout is statistically more connected to the amount of elections the US has compared to other countries than the day on which it is on.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I think voting should take place over a 2 or 3 day period from 8AM to 9PM starting Friday or Saturday morning and ending Sunday night.

Comment

Apparantly, (according to the newspaper) It's not in the constitution that election day be the first tuesday after the first monday in November. I admit, I thought it was in there as well.

I'm appauled that you thought that was in the Constitution .

I don't think having it on Saturday would change much. People would be on vacation or visiting family and stuff.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

keep it the way it is
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It will lead to a slightly better turnout, but it won't be anything fantastic.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I'm appauled that you thought that was in the Constitution .
              I'm appalled at your spelling.

Comment

I think low voter turnout has to do more with negative campaigning than with the day of the week.

Candidate A: "Candidate B is a crook!"
                Candidate B: "Candidate A is a moron!"
                Non-Voter: "You're both right. I'm not voting for either one of you!"

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  I think low voter turnout has to do more with negative campaigning than with the day of the week.

Candidate A: "Candidate B is a crook!"
                  Candidate B: "Candidate A is a moron!"
                  This is why I think we need a parlementary system and Proportional Representation, people vote on the party platform instead of voting on the personality of the canidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

This is why I think we need a parlementary system and Proportional Representation, people vote on the party platform instead of voting on the personality of the canidate.

and more than two political parties
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                      With apologies to Zkrib:

Party A: "Party B are crooks!"
                      Party B: "Party A are morons!"

What, you think partisanship will get less if you vote for a party?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

With apologies to Zkrib:

Party A: "Party B are crooks!"
                        Party B: "Party A are morons!"

What, you think partisanship will get less if you vote for a party?
                        No, What I am saying is that when you vote for the party instead of individuals it takes away the tactic of discedititing the individual canidate with personal mudslinging (think of the so-called "swift boat veterans bashing Kerry). It frees people to vote on the ISSUES instead of the personality of individual politicians.

Comment

should make election day a holiday
                          Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Just moving it to saturday isn't a good idea. As noted people would probably go on vacation or something. Plus it falls on the Jewish sabbath, they'd never allow that.

I say we move it to Wednesday and make it a national holiday so everyone gets the day off. I say Wednesday cause if it were a Tuesday, people would just take a vacation day on Monday and go for the 4 day weekend instead of vote. Its tougher to do with Wednesday. A Wed day off means you've got nothing to really do BUT vote.

Not having it on a holiday puts low-income working people at a disadvantage because they are less likely to be able to get time off to vote. Plus they probably work longer hours and are more exhausted and such to make it to the polls assuming they actually have time to do so. So yea, move to Wednesday and make it a holiday.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

also liberalizing voter registration law would increase turn out in elections.
                              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Working...
                              X