Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realistically, how long could slavery have lasted had the south won the civil war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistically, how long could slavery have lasted had the south won the civil war?

Or the north chose not to fight it?

I know you guys hate what if threads. But this is a social question. How much longer could the civilized (I use that term loosely) world accepted the institution of slavery?

The mechanization of farming tasks would surely have killed slavery.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

17 years.

Comment

I'm sorry, Kuci, I'm gonna have to go with sixteen years.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
          good point. With the advent of the internal combustion engine (and diesels) in the late 19th century, it couldn't have lasted much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
            I'm sorry, Kuci, I'm gonna have to go with sixteen years.
            Commie.

Comment

According to Civ4 societies with slavery experience more unhappiness when other societies free their slaves.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Commie.
                Capitalist pig dog.

I'm not sure that I have anything to add to this thead.

Dis, are you suggesting that the rest of the world would have stopped the South from utilizing slavery, or that they would have just stopped on their own in the end, or perhaps that no one would trade with stinking slave owners and the South would be forced to change the system themselves, or maybe even that this runon sentence is too long and I should really come up with my ideas before I begin to type them?
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Capitalist pig dog.

I'm not sure that I have anything to add to this thead.

Dis, are you suggesting that the rest of the world would have stopped the South from utilizing slavery, or that they would have just stopped on their own in the end, or perhaps that no one would trade with stinking slave owners and the South would be forced to change the system themselves, or maybe even that this runon sentence is too long and I should really come up with my ideas before I begin to type them?
                  I meant stop on their own. If the north wouldn't be able to stop it, I doubt anyone else would care enough to go to war to stop it.

Comment

There's a connection between the war and slavery?
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

I meant stop on their own. If the north wouldn't be able to stop it, I doubt anyone else would care enough to go to war to stop it.
                      Yes, but the phrase, "how much longer could the civilized world accept slavery?" made me think otherwise.

Comment

There was a good document on the matter... (Or so I'm told, have not been able to, hum, acquire it from anywhere...)

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America.

I wonder how they went with it?
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

"'

Originally posted by Eli
                          Why would the mechanization be developed if slavery would still be allowed somewhere (and that "somewher" would be where the production would eventually be outsourced) ? Consider the Roman empire and it's technological stagnation.

Comment

Yes, but the phrase, "how much longer could the civilized world accept slavery?" made me think otherwise.
                            I see. If I'm not mistaken, slavery was still around in other parts of the world around 1861 as well. Though many countries had moved past that.

Comment

Re: "'

Originally posted by VJ
                              Why would the mechanization be developed if slavery would still be allowed somewhere (and that "somewher" would be where the production would eventually be outsourced) ? Consider the Roman empire and it's technological stagnation.
                              Because even today countries are reluctant to outsource farming and therefore non-slave holding nations will still go through the mechanization process.
                              Also, and I cant be bothered to look for numbers now, I think that after enough technological advancement using slaves becomes more expensive than using machines, especially if you consider the risk of a slave uprising.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X