So...anyone know about laptops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, they are overpriced.

I know somebody who works for a company that makes websites/intranets for other companies. I told him once: "If I'd buy another laptop, I would either buy a Toshiba or an IBM". He told me: "No, don't get a Thinkpad. A lot of my collegues/clients are having problems with their Thinkpads." Its probably not a statistically representative sample, but there you go.

But I repeat: they are overpriced. That's not nonsense.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

They're overpriced if it's not what you're looking for. Toshibas don't last as long as ThinkPads do, and I have a huge anecdotal samples of that. Toshibas are good, but they're not ThinkPads.

ThinkPads are renowned for their reliability and quality for a reason. Just because some assclown who designs websites (which is what I thought kids in high school got paid to do) says otherwise doesn't mean it isn't true.

In the same period I've had my ThinkPad, my friend has gone through an iBook (broke) and now a PowerBook (15" AlBook, its battery is lucky to last 1/2 an hour, and it's 1 1/2 years old now...).

Meanwhile I've fallen on my ThinkPad, sliding down concrete icey stairs on top of it as a result, and it has nary a scratch and suffers nearly constant use, daily. When I worked at IBM, literally everybody had a ThinkPad (company-issued). You would not believe the torture some of these laptops went through -- one lady drove over hers and it just needed a new $20 keyboard afterwards.

I do not consider them overpriced. I consider them pricey, but IMO they're well worth the money. They "just work" and they're durable as hell.

Here's a simple test of quality: Using your fingers, press in behind the LCD of the laptop. On all of the Toshibas and Apple laptops I've done this on, the picture distorts fairly easily. On ThinkPads, the picture is unaffected.

Similarly, I've noticed a lot of Toshibas, and even more Apples, have poor hinges -- the LCD actually moves back and forth as people type on it, or the table is bumped. That would annoy the hell out of me...
      Last edited by Asher; November 12, 2005, 17:39.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So, Asher, what do you think about Anuses?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

ThinkPads are renowned for their reliability and quality for a reason. Just because some assclown who designs websites (which is what I thought kids in high school got paid to do) says otherwise doesn't mean it isn't true.
          He isn't an assclown. He leads a team that designs commercial websites and intranets. High school kids don't get paid 110K$/year for what they do

Meanwhile I've fallen on my ThinkPad, sliding down concrete icey stairs on top of it as a result, and it has nary a scratch and suffers nearly constant use, daily. When I worked at IBM, literally everybody had a ThinkPad (company-issued). You would not believe the torture some of these laptops went through -- one lady drove over hers and it just needed a new $20 keyboard afterwards.

I do not consider them overpriced. I consider them pricey, but IMO they're well worth the money. They "just work" and they're durable as hell.

Here's a simple test of quality: Using your fingers, press in behind the LCD of the laptop. On all of the Toshibas and Apple laptops I've done this on, the picture distorts fairly easily. On ThinkPads, the picture is unaffected.

Similarly, I've noticed a lot of Toshibas, and even more Apples, have poor hinges -- the LCD actually moves back and forth as people type on it, or the table is bumped. That would annoy the hell out of me...
          I guess they're worth it if you have butter fingers. Personally, I'd rather pay for a better CPU, more ram and a larger screen, than a more robust system. One thing I like about thinkpads, though, is the keyboard. They got great keyboards. Btw, I owned a Thinkpad before my Toshiba. It was "value" IBM. I think value Toshiba are better than value IBM's.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

It's not that I have butterfingers, but that I bring it everywhere with me and subsequently **** can happen.

...I just got back from the mountains and brought the laptop with me for GPS in the car and for offloading photos from my digicam.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                So, Asher, what do you think about Anuses?
                Plug n' Play

Comment

Working...
                X