• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1776-2000 1.01t, 2000-2004 1.05t

Bush Borrowed More Than All Previous Presidents Combined, Group Says
    By Melanie Hunter
    CNSNews.com Senior Editor
    November 04, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - President Bush and the current administration have borrowed more money from foreign governments and banks than the previous 42 presidents combined, a group of conservative to moderate Democrats said Friday.

Blue Dog Coalition, which describes itself as a group "focused on fiscal responsibility," called the administration's borrowing practices "astounding."

According to the Treasury Department, from 1776-2000, the first 224 years of U.S. history, 42 U.S. presidents borrowed a combined $1.01 trillion from foreign governments and financial institutions, but in the past four years alone, the Bush administration borrowed $1.05 trillion.

"The seriousness of this rapid and increasing financial vulnerability of our country can hardly be overstated," said Rep. John Tanner (D-Tenn.), a leader of the Blue Dog Coalition and member of the House Ways and Means Committee.

"The financial mismanagement of our country by the Bush Administration should be of concern to all Americans, regardless of political persuasion," said Tanner in a press release.

Earlier this year, the Blue Dog Coalition unveiled a 12-step plan to "cure" the nation's "addiction to deficit spending." It included requiring all federal agencies to pass clean audits, a balanced budget, and the establishment of a rainy day fund for use in emergencies specifically a natural disaster.

"No American political leadership has ever willfully and deliberately mortgaged our country to foreign interests in the manner we have witnessed over the past four years," said Tanner. "If this recklessness is not stopped, I truly believe our economic freedom as American citizens is in great jeopardy."

ARRGGGHH! *******s! I swear, they want to drive me away from the Republican party!
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

He is ****ing up on every single front.

Why are so many people anti-Bush? Because he universally sucks, DUH.

This is turning into a major mess.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Where's a Nelson "HAW HAW" image when you need one?
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Worst President EVER
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
          Where's a Nelson "HAW HAW" image when you need one?
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Yes, that'll do.
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Alright...It's been pointed out to me that it doesn't mention whether or not inflation has been taken into account. If it hasn't....

IT'S STILL A ****LOAD OF MONEY!!!!
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Yes. 900$ a year for four years from every American citizen (men, women and children as they say)
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It really doesn't take a genius to see that cutting taxes while spending insane amounts of money on the military is going to end up sending you into the red...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I note "...from foreign governments and banks", not total borrowing. Which could mislead a bit into thinking zomfg, teh debt crush!!1!

But he is a fiscal cowboy.
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

And it doesn't appear to take inflation into account. God I wish our foreign debt was only $2.06 trillion. Isn't that the value of our debt to China?

Comment

a) That is only foreign debt. Federal government debt held by US banks, citizens, corporations or governments is not counted

b) Inflation isn't increasing US indebtedness, as it is mostly denominated in US$; interest is...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We've actually been paying off our debt over the last decade. WTF have you guys been up to, you crazy mother****ers?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Cut taxes, spend like a drunk who just cashed his paycheck. Yay. I love my government.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

We've actually been paying off our debt over the last decade. WTF have you guys been up to, you crazy mother****ers?
                              We've been buying up your Chretien action figures on ebay at inflated prices.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X