Aircraft Carriers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Carriers?

So what do you think is the future of the modern Nimitz-class-esque super-carrier? Will it eventually go the way of the battleship? Is it completely necessarily for American power projection, in its current numbers? Do we need more? Are Ticos and smaller carriers the wave of the future? Or are carriers a permanent part to a naval force the foreseeable future?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

I forsee a brilliant future for them. At least 50 more years of US sea domination with carriers.

Comment

How much do they cost to make? (and run for that matter!)

I suppose from the USAs point of view they are great because you don't have to butter up some other country to get them to let you launch airstrikes from their territory.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
        The current class runs about $4.5 billion a pop to build. Here's a good link that lays out the operating and lifetime costs:

"The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Scrap them all and have more money for social programs, healthcare, research etc..
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Smaller carriers, more drones.
            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
              Scrap them all and have more money for social programs, healthcare, research etc..
              Latvia is perfectly free to scrap all of its aircraft carriers so that it has more money for social programs, healthcare, and research

Comment

The current carriers will probably see out their lives but a lot of the strike capability is likely to be taken over by sub-orbital high speed strike aircraft that operate at the edge of the atmosphere. You only need a few bases scattered around the globe then.

So things may well change 20-30 years down the line.

Of course, the USN won't take being supplanted by the USAF lying down so there will be a lot of politics and arguments (and tears and money) to go through first.
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Very necessary for the next 50 years. After that, they may not be so necessary. But they will still be around. It will take a major war to prove they aren't useful anymore. Just like ww2 did with the battleships.

Comment

IIRC the United Kingdon is replacing it's Invincible class of carriers with Nimitz-sized carriers over the next 10-20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

I suppose from the USAs point of view they are great because you don't have to butter up some other country to get them to let you launch airstrikes from their territory.
                      5 billion and around 150 million a year to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius
                        IIRC the United Kingdon is replacing it's Invincible class of carriers with Nimitz-sized carriers over the next 10-20 years.
                        In that case, the US should just sell them their old ones.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Yep... here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            I forsee a brilliant future for them. At least 50 more years of US sea domination with carriers.
                            I agree.

The only thing that could potentially change things is a new jet engine technology that could change the range of fighters (and multi-role fighter-bombers). But even with that, it would require pilots to log longer flight times and still it might just mean carriers would be used in different roles... that sort of thing.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius
                              They are still significantly smaller than a Nimitz class carrier - wiki just said they are closer to the Nimitz class than the former carriers (description of one of the pics there).

The article says "65,000 tonnes displacement and a length of 274m (900ft)" for those new carriers while the Nimitz is over 100,000 tonnes and over 330m.....
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X